Stuart (Red Tabby)

Stuart will be 2 years old in December. He is a semi-long haired, red Tabby. We took in a stray pregnant female cat and ended up keeping Stuart and then finding good homes for the mom and the rest of the kittens.

He likes to catch and eat grasshoppers, watch hummingbirds and antagonize the other cats and dogs of the household. We are kind of concerned about his size. He weighs 17 pounds and he is not even 2 years old yet!

By Sue from Garrettsville, OH

He is getting to be a big boy, isn't he? I know he's a beautiful boy, that's for sure. Thank you for sharing, and God bless you.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Beautiful Kitty.

Please call your vet and ask if the grasshoppers are harmful to your cat. When my dog was a puppy she used to eat grasshoppers and she got very sick and almost died. When I took her to the vet, he said that grasshoppers are very high in protein and very bad for puppies and older dogs. Please make sure they aren't harmful to your cat.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

He's Purrrrrty! But I would check his food, is he eating a good quality food? Hint, if you buy it at the grocery store, it's NOT a good quality, only pet food stores or feed stores are going to have the higher quality (high protein, low filler) foods, that might be contributing to his weight. We have a Siamese, that put on the pounds after she got fixed too, I changed their food and she's a little sleeker but it's hard to get it off once it's on! You are lucky, he's a beaut!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

He's Gorgeous!! I have a HUGE cat too. He's been big since he was a kitten. My cat weighs about 18lbs too. I give him combined Iams Hairball formula and Purina Indoor Cat formula (both store bought) and my vet says those are fine.
YOu have a great loooking cat!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Hi Sue-I think Stuart may be a Maine Coon mix. The males are especially noted for attaining very large sizes. The record for largest domestic feline belongs to a Maine Coon-length as well as weight.
Check this out for some big kitties: http://www.veri … ripts/lrgimg.htm
At any rate, your Stuart is one very handsome fellow!
Regards-Cheryl

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I have a Maine Coon. They don't reach their full size until they are three years old! So if Stuart is a mix, don't be too surprised if he's not doing growing yet. He's gorgeous too!

Reply Like this photo? Yes