VegetablesFreezing

Freezing and Cooking With Eggplant

I have a good size crop of eggplant this year. I'd like to freeze it for later on, but I don't want to bread and fry it all. Does any one have suggestions on how to do it up? What have others done?

By Dorothy Myers

I think for a good result the eggplant has to be cooked before freezing. You could bread it and bake it with just a drizzle of oil on it. Very similar to frying, but much easier and it uses a lot less oil. Or experiment and try freezing a few raw slices. Thaw them out and see what the result is.

I have seen it cut into chunks, boiled with salt until almost mushy, then spread into a thin layer and put on cookie sheets to freeze. Then break up into chunks, and place into freezer bags, or vacuum bags, and freeze.

Then use it as the basis for stuffing/dressing, in place of cornbread or bread cubes, seasoning as you like, and adding cut up onions, celery, etc, and cooked rice, or meat (ground beef, sausage, etc).

Anonymous

Wash, peel, slice 1/3 inch thick. Water blanch 4 minutes in 1 gallon of boiling water containing 1/2 cup lemon juice. Or you can sauté in oil.

How do I freeze eggplant and how do I use it in recipes?

By huguette from FL

Answers:

Freezing and Cooking With Eggplant

I have never frozen it, but here is some info:

whatscookingamerica.net
pickyourown.org

I just saw these articles the other day with ways to prepare and recipes:
tipnut.com
tipnut.com

There are also recipes in the box above right from here on Thrifty Fun. (06/02/2010)

By KL