Calendar Wall Art

Do you want to recycle old calendars and make your home look good? Here's what I did. My husband is a railroader and had a calendar with trains on it. The pictures were wonderful. At the end of the year, I bought some cheap frames from the Goodwill store, cut the pictures off the calendar and matted and framed them. They now hang in my family room downstairs. They look great. You could never tell they were off a calendar! Cheap too. The cost of the calendar (which I would have recycled anyway) and a buck for a frame at Goodwill.)

I did the same when my son moved into his first flat. He wanted a 'sea' theme, so I picked up a couple of cheap, out of date calendars, both sea themes - shells, coral & fish. One was a small version of the regular sized one & they cost $2 total.
I bought a sheet of chipboard (you could also use a sheet of polystyrene), had him cut it to the sizes of the calendar pictures that he liked. We then filled the sides with a filler, then painted the edges white paint. They made a great montage. I also bought a 'beachy' sarong, & a piece of dowel, then cut the dowel in two, painted them white & used string to tie the sarong to the top & bottom from the rods & hung it up as a wall hanging. Later, he decided to use it to look like a bed-head. We also made use of shells, etc, that we put around candle bases & put some around the candles. This gave us lots of 'beachy' things, & it looked great! He loved it. You could also use a small piece of fisherman's net, put some shells on it, then drape it over a lampshade - just another idea. The best way to decorate is to find a theme that you like, then think of all the ways you can use regular day to day things to make it your very own signature design.

I've received mail when the other person has used old calendar pages to make homemade envelopes. They used a large size envelope as a template & glue to make their "own" version of envelopes. One would have to use enough glue to ensure it would not open in transit. But I thought what a clever idea, instead of filling up the landfills!

Also, decorative calendar pages could be used for gift wrap.