Looking for Basement Remodeling Tips

My basement is old and gross. The ceiling is low and there are spider webs all over the place. I would like to turn my basement into a part of my home I don't mind going in. Any ideas how I can fix it up and get rid of the old, gross look.

Thanks, Rhonda from Pennsylvania

By Anne H. (Guest Post)

The first thing you have to do is clean the heck out of it. Then you will know what you have to work with and just getting something cleaned up will make you feel better about it and ignite your imagination. I am not sure what your walls are like but painting the walls and ceiling would a light color would make all the difference in the world. And getting some carpet on the floor would help a ton. Also Ikea has some pretty cheap wood flooring. It's easy to install and comes in various colors.

To get rid of musty odors and smells in the basement, try this. Add one to two pounds of Zeolite poured into pantyhouse and hang several bags in the basement where air can flow through.

If carpet is musty, sprinkle Zeolite granules onto carpet, let set for 24 hours and vacuum up.

By Mike M (Guest Post)

You should check out the book on basement remodeling sold at http://www.basementideas.com. It's got all the tips on how to do a complete remodel.