Frugal Tips For Prom

I just was in an upscale thrift shop and if I had been looking for a prom dress, there were several long formal gowns there for $20! Remember there are often deals on formal dresses! Some are new from bridesmaids' overstock at Bridal Shops and if the others have been worn, it's hard to tell!

I also ran into a prom site that has lots of ads and links, but also shows you how to do your own up-dos.

By Pamphyila from Los Angeles

Post your frugal prom tips below.

Top Comment

Years down the road you will wonder why you thought the prom would be a big deal, so get an inexpensive dress (or borrow one). Don't spend a lot, you only wear it once. The prom is a lot of hype. It's just a dance. Fix your hair nice, wear makeup and don't stress too much. If you don't find a date, no big deal. So many better things in life lie ahead -- you'll see!

Savers & Value Village are my favorite places to find prom stuff. i live in a fairly "under-Waged" area and I have helped outfit many a prom over the past few years from these thrift stores! Love them! Mondays are dollar days with a certain color tag is only a dollar, got a wedding gown that way, had to spot clean but it was wonderful!!

We got our daughter a dress at the thrift store. She can get brand new shoes, use one of my purses, and she already has the jewelry she wants to wear.

She can get her manicure and pedicure at the local beauty school, I'll do her hair, and she's already a pro at doing her own makeup.

With the prom ticket, it might be around $100 total.