Home Treatment For Tonsil Stones (Tonsillolith)

Last week, I notice that I had another tonsil stone. The hole on the back part of my tonsil had filled up with debris and calcified again.

I had this problem about a year ago and had made an appointment with the doctor to have it checked as I thought I had strep throat although I did not feel sick, had no fever and my throat was not even sore. I had never heard of tonsil stones until the night before my appointment when I ran across some information about it on the Internet. After reading information and comments about tonsil stones, I started pressing on my tonsil and swabbing it with peroxide. The next morning after brushing my teeth, while getting ready for my doctor's appointment, I looked at my throat and the stone was gone. I called and canceled my doctor's appointment. The receptionist told me that her daughter also has problems with tonsil stones.

For a week now I have swabbed this tonsil stone with peroxide and pressed on it with my finger all to no avail. But tonight I got an idea. I thought about using the flat handle end of my toothbrush to press on it to see if I could pop it out. After sterilizing it, I got to work. With my flashlight in one hand and toothbrush in the other, I looked in the mirror and gently pressed on the tonsil below the stone and it popped right out clean as a whistle. I then swabbed the hole with peroxide and gargled with hot salt water.

I'm so glad to get that yucky thing out of my throat. Looks like I'll be stuck with this hole in my tonsil, almost like it has been pierced. To keep it clean, I'll be gargling my throat every night with hot salt water and stop eating between meals. I also read on the Internet to avoid tonsil stones, it's best not to eat just before going to bed. Maybe I'll lose that 5 pounds I gained during Christmas.

The medical term for this condition is Tonsillolith and it is very common. I'm so thankful for the Internet. It saved me a doctor's visit.

By Betty from NC

Back in the day doctors believed in removing tonsils. I had a tonsilectomy, so never had the problem of tonsil stones.