Cooking Corned Beef in the Oven

Instead of cooking it to death on the stove, cover with water, add regular spices (peppercorns, bay leaf, etc). Bring briefly to boil on stove, then cover and bake in 300 degrees F oven for approximately 3 1/2 hrs. It will be tender, won't shrink as much, and the kitchen will smell heavenly!

By CM

By jodi (Guest Post)

I always cook mine in one of the plastic "oven" bags that I do my roast in...comes out great an is so tender.

I cook mine in the crockpot. It can be done in 3 hours, but the longer the better. I've prepared it with cabbage. Another time, I prepared it with sauerkraut. But if it's really fatty, I prefer to cook it alone. I'd never prepared this till about 4 years ago, my husband brought it home asking me to prepare it. He'd seen someone buying some & asked her how she was going to prepare it. She was going to use a can of beer with it. We tried it that way & didn't care for it that way. I've fixed it with the spice pack that comes with it and I'v fixed it w/o the spice pack. We prefer it w/o the spice pack. My Mom never fixed corned beef for us. When I asked 'why?' She replied "because I don't like corned beef". I, personally, can't imagine anyone not liking corned beef, except for that stuff in a can, that smells like dog food.