HealthPets

Stray Cat With Mange

I've got a lot of wild cats outside that folks have dropped off over the years. I've noticed this one cat that has like alot of bumps on it's body,I'm not sure if they are bites. It also looks like some of the hair is thinning. Could this be mange, and if so, is there something I can do for this cat, other then taking it to the vet? There's no way I would be able to catch it. They do come up when I put food out for them. I've tried in the past to pick one up while they were eating and got scratched really bad. So I don't want to do that again.

I thought maybe there was some kind of old time remedy that folks did a long time ago.

Let me know if you have any feedback.
Thanks
Pam

I wouldn't try to pick them up again you may get rabies if they bite you , when i see a stray cat thats in poor health I usually call animal control. They usually rehabilitate the cats and put them up for adoption when they're in good health again. Look in your phone book or look on the web for the number for animal control in your area. I hope my advice helped. Sabrina

Are you kidding me this pound kills not rehabilitaes

Yes those cats have mange!! This is highly contagious to humans as well as other animals. In humans it is known as scabies. Go to your local vet supply and ask them what they recommend. There is a cream you can get that is suppose to cure mange but I do not know what it is called.

Animal control euthanize 175,000 dogs & cats per year.

I am a veterinarian and disagree that most animal controls will rehab animals and adopt them out. They will adopt healthy animals, but usually they have a designated time span of 1-2 weeks. I am sure this varies from county to county. They are designed to control disease by controlling the animal population. (Cats breed uncontrollably when outside.) Also, these cats sound feral and would not make good house pets.

If you are interested in helping them w/o having them euthanized, contact a trap/neuter/return type organization in your area. You can get their contact info from your local humane society or animal control. Certainly, animal control is an option, but some people aren't comfortable w/ the outcome. If you can not touch them and want to treat them, oral ivermectin can be put in their food. Get the dose from your veterinarian (do not guess!). Better to have them spayed/neutered at a minimum. Good luck

The only ivermectin for cats than I can find is in heartguard - for fleas ? Will this work for mange in a feral cat that cannot be handled ?