Identifying Small Dark Brown Bugs Found in Bedding

I found some bugs in my son's bedding today. I was afraid they were bed bugs, but after looking at some pics I am pretty sure they are not. I would still like to know what they are.

They are about 4mm long, elongated, dark brown on the ends and light brown or cream in the middle, but they are not segmented. They have a lot of legs. They kind of remind me of a pill bug, but much smaller and a different color, or maybe a weevil, but I did not find them around food. Please help.

By DJ

Except for the size, they might be carpet beetles. You don't mention where you live, and that could narrow it down a little.

Good luck!

Thanks. They do look like the carpet beetle larvae pictures I found. I put the three I found in a jar and am going to try to feed them until they mature to make sure that is what they are.

In the meantime, I will be cleaning and cleaning and cleaning. :)

If they have more than 6 legs, they are not insects but another sort of critter. Spiders and mites have 8 legs, but I am pretty sure they all have a spidery look to them. If it has more than 8 legs, it is a millipede or centipede of some sort. If they have legs, they are not a larva, but are an adult critter of some sort.

Hello again, I just looked up carpet beetles, and saw the pictures of the larva. I can see why, if this is what you had, you would call the "hairs" legs, as they look like that although they are not really legs. Here is the link to the site that I found that gives some good info about them. We do not have them here in Saskatchewan, thank goodness.

www.bugclinic.com/carpet_beetle.htm

Still feeding the little buggers. I live in Arkansas, and we have Crepe Myrtles, there are a lot in this area. I found some info on Carpet Beetles and it seems they like Crepe Myrtles, so I guess it is inevitable that we would have a few.

Larder beetle

Home and Garden Pest Control BugsSeptember 20, 2010
🌻
🎂
📓