Fun Star Crayon

• old crayons separated by color
  • silicone star baking cups
  • Exacto knife (optional)

Instructions:

Remove the paper wrappers on all the crayons. I used an Exacto knife for speed, but if you have children helping with this project it would be best to do it by hand.

Separate the crayons into color groups. Try throwing gold or silver pieces in with another color, this will put streaks of gold or silver throughout the other color. Play with your color combinations and see what happens.

Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.

Cut all the crayons into 1/2 inch to 1 inch pieces.

Place enough crayon pieces into each silicone cup so that the bottom is covered. Each cup will be filled about 1/3 of the way up.

Place the mold into the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes.

When the crayons have melted completely, take them out of the oven. Set the mold on a cooling rack for 10 minutes, then place in the frezzer for another 15-25 minutes or until the crayons have re-solidified.

When the crayons are solid, gently push them out of each cup in the silicone mold.

Now you have brand "new" crayons. This is a very thrifty and fun craft! These can be made before your kids go back to school, instead of buying new ones, use the old broken ones. Your kid is sure to have the coolest crayons in the class. These also make great gifts for children and adults alike.

That is so cool I am sending the link to my daughter today for the boys! Thanks!

We did this for the 4 and 5 year olds in our class. We also made round ones. The kids did not like them.

It was to hard to hold and harder to color with. Maybe you will have better luck than we did. We finally threw them away because no one would use them.

I have done the same thing except that we used what is left at the end of the candle once it has burned down & can't be used anymore. Scented ones are best. You can use them either as a candle (just add a wick when wax is partially set), or you can use them as little drawer fresheners. We save the candle bits, my daughter also gives me hers - cut into pieces & put into the molds. Very colorful & very nice with varying scents as the candle burns.

I don't have any silicone bake wear and don't want to go buy some just for this project. However, i do have disposable aluminum cups (star shaped). Any reason I couldn't use them?

tmichelle79,
I don't see any reason why the aluminum wouldn't work. But, you may have difficulty getting the crayons out when they cool.

If you don't need to save the disposable aluminum cups, then you could deform the mold in order to get the crayons out. Try it out a report back.

Crafts Recycled Crafts OtherOctober 23, 2009
🍂
🎄