Removing Wood Preservative Odor

Wood Preservative
The chemicals used to treat wood often emit lingering odors which can be irritating if not dangerous. This is a guide about removing wood preservative odor.

I used Copper Green wood preservative on my deck and my daughter can't stand the smell. She complains bitterly. Is there some way to get rid of the smell?

By Shar from Spokane, WA

Fill a wash bucket with hot water and add 20 drops of tea tree oil to it. wash your deck with this. Rinse thoroughly. The tea tree oil has a strong smell of its own but once the deck is rinsed and dried and airs out for awhile it should be much improved.

Good luck with getting rid of the smell. While your deck is, technically, outdoors, it still will stink for a long time, (that's why the products are labeled "for exterior use only." The naphthene molecule is what pulls the copper into the wood and releases it slowly, and that is what stinks. If it is still really bad in the spring, you might try sanding down the deck and re-sealing it, or power-washing it. At least in the winter, you won't be outside quite as much, unless you have a jacuzzi out there.

Copper Napthenate/Copper Green is labeled for exterior use only. There is some Vanderbilt University research that indicate that it has carcinogenic properties and others that indicate possible DNA damage to cattle.

This material is considered a pesticide. It has been illegal to apply inside a building footprint (even crawlspaces) since circa 2002. See the EPA for info. I have heard (not verified) that cleaning the surface with a paint thinner or acetone and then sealing with shellac, etc should help.

Sanding it seems like a really bad idea if any of the research is right.

I painted the basement wall using Copper Green. I don't know if it is toxic, but the smell is awful. I have a little baby who is only 9 months. How can I get rid of the smell? Please help me.

By Jade

Use newspapers, layer open newspapers solid on floor. Within 24 -48 hours the smell will be gone. Best part it's non-toxic. Good Luck

I put some Copper Green wood preservative inside my mobile home wall. I didn't realize it was for outside use only. Even with wall panel on it still smells. Will the smell ever go away? If not is there any outfit that deals with that sort of problem?

By RA from Castro Valley, CA