Coffee Filters for Cleaning Eyeglasses

I've found that using round basket type coffee filters to clean my eyeglasses leaves them sparkling, and without any of the smudge or lint residue that comes from paper towels, tissues, or napkins. They can be used repeatedly, carried easily in your purse or pocket, and you can buy a pack of 100 in the dollar store. They'll last you forever, and your lenses will be bright.

By Sharon from New York, NY

Paper products are the worst thing you can use on your glasses as it scratches. Lenses also need to be wet when cleaned.

using black coffee is the best thing to clean them with before you you dry them with the coffee filter.
something in the coffee just eats thru anything you might have on your lens from makeup to hairspray it will come clean without harming your glasses. I have used it for years.

I am going to try this! I don't know about the rinsing in coffee, I'd be Leary that after a while, scratches would build up coffee stain as they do in my coffee cups, scratched by my spoon.

I'll make sure not to have debris from anything such as mowing the lawn before trying to clean. Usually, they needs to be cleaned after being in my dirty purse. Thank you all for your advice :-)

It's better to use a cleaning fluid designed for eyeglasses, especially if the glasses have an anti-reflective coating. I bought a five dollar cleaning kit from Costco several years ago. The kit includes two refillable spray bottles of non-alcoholic cleaner (free to refill at Costco) and a microfiber cleaning cloth. Some optometry offices provide a free refillable spray bottle as well as a microfiber cleaning cloth with a new pair of glasses.

Your eye doctor will tell you that this practice will leave minute scratches on your lens. Please do not do it.

My eye doctor said to, of course, use eye glass cleaning kits. You can use plain water and white Bounty paper towels. The are not made with wood fibers that can scratch your glasses

Do not do this! Over time it will scratch your lens. Call your eye doc and you will see. Use products especially made for glasses.