OdorsCleaning

Removing Rodent Urine Smell on Outdoor Furniture Cushions

Last summer we moved to the country. I stored my outdoor furniture cushions in a Rubbermaid container and put them inside an unattached garage. When I opened the container this spring, I found that mice had found their way into the container. Although they did not chew up the cushions, they did urinate on them. This was an expensive set of outdoor furniture, and I want to save them. Any suggestions how I can get the smell out?

Becky from Indiana

Well I doubt you will be able to remove ALL of the smell from the cushions. You could try spraying with a pet enzyme (I get one from Wal-Mart) and let it air dry. Spraying a mix of vinegar and water works well. My dog pees on her blanket all the time and it reeks of urine. I spray the fabric with the enzyme product (I forgot what it is called) and let it sit. Then I soak in washer with a few cups of vinegar. Then I add detergent and wash. Sometimes I have to wash twice. Good luck!

Are your cushions washable at all? I have used a spray bottle filled with vinegar to wet the cushions thoroughly, and then I hosed them off and hung them over my clothes line to dry in the sun. The smell came out, but unfortunately, they also chewed my cushions!

Hang them over a clothesline in the sun and spray it down with straight from the bottle distilled white vinegar with about 6-9 drops of tea tree oil mixed in. Watch the fabric carefully though.. the sun can bleach the colour and also make the fabric tender.

Rodent urine is easy to get out this way... I learned this when I was a kid and raised mice for petshops for extra money. The tea tree oil smells nice, helps deter rodents and will help kill off any mods or mildews lurking too.

Good Luck!