Uses for Egg Slicers

Category Kitchen Tools
Egg slicers can be put to use in preparing other foods. This is a guide about uses for egg slicers.

Have you noticed some brands and types of bread are approaching 5 dollars a loaf? I won't pay that price. As someone who remembers bread for 10 cents a loaf, and as someone who takes inflation through the decades into consideration, I consider 4 and 5 dollars for a loaf of bread, sheer greed!

I like Walmart's French bread. I don't taste the soybean oil in it. At a dollar for a full size loaf, I usually buy 10 loaves at a time and freeze them. The bread may be a loss leader for Walmart, but I figure if they can do it, so can other stores.

I make a little snack using this bread, and I really enjoy it. On French bread toast, I spread a liberal amount of neufchatel cheese that has been allowed to come to room temperature. Atop the cheese, I spread a layer of sliced, ripe olives. That's it! Simple, but very good, especially if eaten while the toast is still warm.

I've been slicing the olives with a small paring knife. Tonight, I tried something different. I sliced them using an egg slicer. Same results, it took about a tenth of the time. Glad I thought of this little time saver. If you're into doing your own pizza, using the egg slicer to slice olives could really come in handy.

A short while ago, someone submitted a tip about using a cheese slicer for slicing eggs. I thought that it was a good idea, but I had to laugh because I do the opposite. I use an egg slicer to slice cheese. I have made many cheese and cracker trays and this saves so much time cutting up the cheese. I take the egg slicer apart and just use the slicer part. Cut off a chunk of cheese and just press down and it is sliced in a few seconds. I have also found an old egg slicer at a garage sale that has the wires on the slicer closer together so I can slice the cheese thick or thin. Just rinse the slicer in hot water and dry, easy clean up. Don't put it in the dishwasher though, it will rust.

By Pico from St Paul, Alberta

I always use my egg slicer to slice black olives. It works like a charm!! Very quick and convenient for getting evenly sliced olives.

By glowgirl from Watertown, WI