Keep Bread Mold from Developing

When the weather becomes hot and humid, we always had problems with our soft breads getting moldy. Since it is only my husband and I, bread lasts longer than when we had our kids at home. The pantry closet area, where the bread is stored, does not have air conditioning and gets very warm. We do not like to refrigerate the bread; it gets too dry.

I now put a clean and dry paper towel under the bread in it's bag when storing it in the pantry closet. This seems to make the bread not get moldy. When I remove the paper towel, it feels damp. We use soft white, soft multi-grain, and rye breads.

In the past, I would never freeze whole loaves of bread, because we did not like the results when defrosted. Through trial and error, I now double bag and freeze whole loaves of bread. I place the paper towel in before freezing. I defrost the bread in the refrigerator, leaving the paper towel inside. Before putting the bread in the pantry closet, I remove the bread from the refrigerator, place it on a cooling rack, and let it come to room temperature.

When we buy the harder type rolls, like Kaiser rolls and bagels, we store them in our electric oven. While we still may lose some to mold if they get too old, they last longer in the oven. Also, I keep the rolls and/or bagels on a cookie sheet in the oven so it is easier to pull them out when we need them. I do have a habit of checking inside my oven before turning it on. So please remember, if you use this tip, check inside your oven first before using it.

This may seem like a lot to go through to keep bread for two people; however, there were times when we needed bread only to find out it was moldy. It became such an inconvenience just to run out for bread.

By it's.only.me from NE, PA

Just a hint; since the closet is not air conditioned, leave the door opened at night and let it air out while you sleep.

I have been freezing bread for over three years now. It can be the freshest, or day-old--it makes no difference--because the trick is in thawing it.

Simply remove it from the freezer and place it in the dish drainer or something that holds the loaf off the counter. The loaf cannot be placed directly on the counter. The air must be able to circulate under the loaf.

When it is completely thawed it will be like just out of the oven.

When the loaf thaws lying on the counter the bottom will be tough and dry and the entire loaf will dry out within one day.

Great! We've been wondering about this problem for a long time now. Thanks.
darlene
st. louis, mo

Long ago I learned how to prevent mold on bread that I made. Both my Irish Mother and her Irish mother and my East Prussian aunt always bought linen napkins. They used these to wrap each new loaf in. For over twenty years I have done this with the bread made in my bread machine.

I slice the entire loaf, then portion it out in 6 to 10 slice portions. I wrap these portions in the linen napkins, and place that into a large, individual zip-lok type storage bag, and place one such package in my refrigerator for daily use. The rest go into my freezer. I also defrost these already sliced bread portions in my refrigerator.

I have also used the linen wraps around an entire non-sliced loaf and stored it in the plastic bags and frozen them. These wraps do not have to be 100 % linen, just as long as there is some linen in the fabric contents. Fabric stores have linen by the yard and one could just cut that material to the size of a napkin. That way they can be laundered more easily. I am a seamstress, also, but store-bought napkins do have the edges finished if one does not sew. Granny Beth

Anonymous

Someone suggested that putting a stalk of celery in with the loaf will also deter mold.

Anonymous

That is why I only buy food with preservatives, especially bread

Anonymous

I freeze bread in packs of 4 slices per pack. Double bag it.

Anonymous

Thank you. Still have a teenager at home but great tip.

Anonymous

The way to freeze bread and rolls, is to wrap then in foil. and freeze, when needed put in oven at 300 untill thawed, bread is just like just baked.

Addressing possibility of turning oven on when your bread or other stored in oven. I remove my oven knob (bake, broil, clean oven, etc options) & put it in the oven on a pan/pot in there & this prevents you from turning oven with things in there.

It happened to me once so I know from experience.

Anonymous

awesome info thanks

I store my bread top down. This is usually Artisan bread, generally unsliced. I buy day old if possible. It seems to stay mold free longer when stored upside down. Maybe gravity redistributes the H2O?

Thank you...my husband and I waste a lot of bread. It sits around to long and I dont like freezing it either. I will try your tips...

We freeze our bread all the time. When you defrost, it's very moist!!

I have started keeping my bread in the microwave. It stays fresher and doesn't mold.

Anonymous

Store your bread in your refrigerator.

Thank you for your tips. I am going to try your solution.

We freeze our bagels and when we needed them, my husband opens the bag after taking them out of the freezer so the bread does not get soggy..

I also place my breads in the microwave oven and it keeps the bread a lot longer. I think it is the seal on the microwave oven that helps to keep it dry.

I keep my bread in the fridge.....in the original plastic bag.
And it seems to last longer.

The paper towel is a great trick when freezing. I use it all the time. I use 1/2 sheet of paper towel and put it in the bread bag before closing. If your bread has an additional plastic wrap around the bread (inside the bag), tear it open and place the towel next to the bread. When you thaw the bread, leave the towel in the bag. I leave it in until all the bread is gone. Without the towel, you will end up with a soggy loaf of bread when thawed. I leave the bread on the counter and put in fridge after 4 or 5 days so it does not mold. Another trick for the paper towel is with salads that come in the plastic tubs. The lettuce tends to get slimy after a few days due to condensation. I place a paper towel in the tub before placing in the fridge and that seems to prevent the problem.

Some breads come in half loaves, as well as buns.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsSeptember 8, 2010
🎃
🌻
😷
📓
🎂
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf57075350.tip.html