If your kid loves to cook, he or she will have fun making this book. You can make one general cookbook or several smaller ones for specific recipes, such as beverages, desserts, snacks, etc. The use of book clips is great because it allows you to add new pages at any time. Book clips can be found in any department or craft store (I found mine at Target). They are round, silver-toned, hinged clips with a clasp opposite the hinge. You open the clasp to add pages and close the clasp to hold the pages together. Have fun!
Crafting Time: about 20 - 30 minutes per page
What You Need:
- poster board
- paper punch
- old photograph or yourself - one you can cut up
- computer, printer, and copy paper (optional)
- paper, any color
- craft glue or a glue stick
- recipes - your favorite
- old magazines
- two book clips
- Cut several pieces of poster board to measure at least 7 x 9 1/2 inches. Punch two holes, in the same place, on one side of each poster board rectangle, so you will be able to assemble them as a book.
- With your parent's permission, choose a photo of yourself that you would like to glue to the cover of your cookbook, and set this aside.
- Decide on what to name your cookbook. This may depend on what kind of recipes you plan to put in the book. You can make one large book with recipes of all kinds, or several smaller books for snacks, beverages, lunches, or even craft recipes. Use markers to write your book title on a sheet of paper, or use different fonts, letter sizes, and colors on your computer to print your title out.
- Cut out the words of your title and glue them to one poster board page, along with your picture. This will be the cover of your book.
- Decide on the recipes you want to include. If they come from a magazine, you may be able to cut them out, but ask permission first. If they come from a larger cookbook or some other source, type them on your computer, print them, and cut them out. You can also write the recipes by hand on regular paper and cut these out.
- Now, search old magazines, ones you can cut up, and look for pictures that at least look like the recipes you've chosen. Cut these out. You can also draw pictures of the foods and cut these out.
- Arrange each recipe with a picture on a separate poster board page. Glue the recipes and pictures in place.
- Put your pages together by threading a book clip through the holes in each page. You will be able to find book clips in the craft or office supply section of any department store.
By Marie from West Dundee, IL