Substitutions for Fennel in Recipes

Category Substitutions
If you do not like the licorice flavor of fennel then you will want to find a suitable substitute to use when preparing recipes calling for it's use. This is a guide about substitutions for fennel in recipes.

I have several recipes that call for fennel. Since I dislike the licorice taste of fennel, I am wondering what is a suitable substitute in cooking. Celery? Celeriac? I would appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Nicki from Amarillo, Texas

Answers

By Nance (Guest Post)

Why don't you use what flavor you like, in the form that's similar to fennel? If you're talking about the bulb, celeriac would be a good sub. For the fennel seed, celery might be best.

The fennel is called for because of the flavor for that recipe. I don't like fennel either but I wouldn't make a recipe calling for it either.