Rules for Hull Gull Marble Game?

Back in the 50's my grandfather played a marble game with me called hull gull. I need the rules for this game if anyone has them. I know you put marbles in your hand and said "hull gull". The other person said "hand full" and then the other person said "how many?" and had to guess. I don't remember what happens next.

By Connie P. from Vandalia, OH

I found the answer on doubletongued.org: If guessing right, the guesser gets to keep all the marbles. If guessing wrong, the guesser owes marbles to the holder. I don't think I would have ever played that game. I'd be afraid of losing. :)

Best Answer

My mother played this game with us and her grandchildren. I have taught my grandchildren as well. We call it Hulligull. As I'm shaking marbles I say Hulligull, the guessing states handful? I ask how many? Say they guess 5 but I have 7, they then owe me 2. If they were to guess 4 they would owe me 1. It's the difference of their guess to the number being shaken. Easy, fun and what kids doesn't love marbles!

I played this game with my Grandfather. He preferred to shell a few kernels of corn off in his hand.

I've always been curious about the origins of this game and the meaning of the phrase hull gull. Grandfathers family was mainly scotch- Irish

Anonymous

In my research of the American civil War period, I came across reference that Hull-gull was played as a parlor game.

IF THE PERSON GUESSES THE CORRECT NUMBER OF MARBLES, THEN HE CAPTURES THOSE MARBLES. IF NOT, HE MUST GIVE THE OTHER PLAYER THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WHAT HE GUESSED AND THE ACTUAL AMOUNT THAT WAS IN THE OTHER PLAYER'S HANDS.

PLAYERS ALTERNATE GUESSING EACH OTHER'S QUANTITY OF HELD MARBLES.

YOU WIN WHEN YOU HAVE ALL OF THE MARBLES.

Entertainment GamesSeptember 14, 2009
🌻
😷
😎
📓
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf57877519.tip.html

GamesEntertainment