Use Lavender To Deter Houseflies

contest winner icon

You're not going to believe this. I went through quite a few websites, reading all the hints about getting rid of houseflies. One of them mentioned lavender amongst quite a few other options in one simple sentence. I latched onto the lavender idea when I remembered that I have a small bottle of Lavender Essential Oil in my cupboard and thought I'd try it, not that I really believed it would work.

My bedroom window is always open for any hungry stray cat that might find its way to my cats' bowls of dried catfood. I always cover the fish bowl immediately after my cats have eaten, but still there would be lots of flies buzzing around. In my study where they would land on my arms or on my computer and they would mostly be just too fast for me to swat them!

I put a few drops on an ordinary small piece of typing paper and put it in my room where I feed my cats. Now this is the you're-not-going-to-believe-this part! Within 5 minutes - as in almost immediately - all the flies were out the window! I was flabbergasted. So I put another small piece of lavender paper on my desk and the same thing happened. Then I went to the kitchen and put down one there. All the flies gone.

One or two would come in the windows or door, fly around a bit and fly right out again! I had to laugh. I found a fly sitting on the kitchen counter and I brought the piece of lavender right up to its nose - so as to speak. It flew away like a bat out of hell. One thing is for sure, flies HATE lavender! And it's really so cheap too. Two or three oily drops on the paper spreads into a huge oily spot.

I am so thankful to who-ever posted this tip that I went through all the palaver to fill in all my details to be able to post on this site because I felt that the world should know :-) But, on second thoughts, this is a very nice website and I've bookmarked it.

Source: Someone, somewhere on the Internet.

By Ellabelle from Cape Town

I've done this for years ...learned it from my grandmother. Don't forget the attic, basement and anywhere with a window that has hot sun coming in it!

Another trick for wood piles, sheds, dark places in the house is peppermint oil scattered will keep rodents away. I even use it under the house and around the garbage (I have 30 acres of meadows and woods so I need to know all the tricks!).

Fantastic tips on the lavender for getting rid of flies and the peppermint for rodents!

Love this. I am going to have to give it a try. Love the smell of lavender!

Instead of buying the Lavender essential oils, why not plant some around the outside of your house. The same thing with Peppermint, plant it around the outside of your house to keep rodents away.

Thanks. This going to come in handy when the summer start. Do you have any ideas how to get rid of roaches before I burn my house down?

I tried this and it didn't work, in fact we had more flies in the house...where did you get your oil? I put a few drops in different little bowls all around...nothing worked.

It did not work for me either, I even put it on a/c filter to spread through entire house. It is also about $8.00/oz.

I'm gonna try it even though im reading negative reviews. I totally believe what may work for others may not work for everyone.

So I'll let everyone know if it works and what type of Lavender.

I literally hate flies. My trailer has been infested twice by millions of them. I tried fly strip traps, eventually they worked the first round. Now the second batch is here. I don't know where they are coming from. I am literally getting depressed crying about them! I am going to try the lavender.
Sad and depressed.
Rhonda