Product FinderConsumer Advice

Finding the Correct Sized Organizer Bin to Use as a Cat Box

I recently posted a question about using alternative ideas for litter boxes like huge organizer bins. I tried one and it seems to be working, except it is too high for her. Does anyone have a plastic organizer box that is at least 21 inches long by 14 inches wide by 11 inches high? Where did you buy it?

I could cut a small opening for her to climb in. Ones with or without a lid not the flip lids. Can you direct me to a site that sells them in the SE Michigan area? A photo would be nice. Would like to be in Livingston Co., MI area. Thank you.

By Linda from Brighton, MI

You can also put a lenth of 2 by 4 covered with felt or just plain for a little "step". Good Luck!

I bought the bins with wheels that slide under the bed for storage. They are only about 6 inches high. Remove the wheels and they make great large sized litter boxes.

Why not just buy a regular litter box? You may end up paying the same for what you are on a search for. You are also more then likely using a lot of gas searching for a perfect storage container. Typically, when purchasing a litter box, it comes with a scoop which you will need as well. Check out the clearance areas of a PetSmart or any pet store chain, also give the local dollar stores a shot!.

Another note for you, if you cut the plastic, you will have a rough edge and the cat may cut herself on the cut plastic. Or, you may cut yourself in doing it. Is it worth it?

Anonymous

As I said on your previously posted question, you can find them at stores like Target, Wal-Mart, etc and they look similar to the picture showing here. They do indeed have large ones that are about 8 inches high and any cat, including my short legged Rachel, easily hops in and out of hers.

If the problem is that you don't want to drive around looking for them why don't you just telephone your local stores and ask them to look, while you're on hold, and find out what they have on their shelves close to the dimensions you are looking for?

I use very large totes, 21 gallons I think they are. I use them because I have a Maine Coon and no commercial litter box was big enough or high enough to contain the litter. My husband cut a "U" shaped opening on one end with a saws-all. I went over the edges with a metal file, but really, cats have a lot of fur (unless they are the hairless variety) and if they can take one another's claws, they can handle this!

We use the type shown in the posted picture for our five indoor cats, (all declawed, spayed and neutered). It is 11 inches tall. We purchased a plastic step-stool at Walmart and they jump on it to get in and out. Works wonderfully!

I have several clear storage boxes I bought at Walmart that are 16x22x6. My cats easily climb over the edge which is high enough to keep the litter from getting out. No need to cut anything away.