Making a Woodland Scene Water Feature

I would love ideas on how to make a water feature. I already have a fountain, but would like something different, almost a woodland scene. And how do I screen it to keep critters from falling in? A baby skunk fell in last summer and drowned. And I am also looking for ideas to make a corner rock garden. Any thoughts are welcome.

Hardiness Zone: 4b

By kitten97883 from Union, OR

Plant Ferns, Azalea, some siberian iris, hostas, oriental lilies, canna lilies, etc around it.
To critter protect it the only thing I know of is bird netting. Birds and frogs can become entangled in it though. If you want wildlife to be able to drink from it then you should have a little waterfall where they can drink and not tumble in.

Go to a koi pond specialist. They have a net that protects the fish, but it also protects the critters from drowning. Also, if you don't already have a pond, consider a pondless water feature. The water bubbles up from gravel or rocks, spills over the edge of fountain or down a waterfall and falls into a rock covered basin with no standing water to drown animals or children (hence the popularity on home remodel shows) and has the benefit of no standing water for mosquitoes.