House PlantsGardening

Caring for a Croton Plant

I have a croton which is a new plant; it looks healthy and well. My question is why some of the incoming new growth turns dry and falls off before they have the chance to become full leaves?

By lahib

I have a small croton; in summer the leaves were forming normally, but now I can see them sprouting out, but they dry off while they are still so small with no chance to completely form into full leaves. I have it in full light, direct sun, very little filtered, from a window, the leaves' colours are dark purple which means its receiving good light. It's not so warm now, but I'm also watering it as it should be, not soggy, not dry.

So what is wrong with it?

By lahib

Answers

It needs humidity. If you don't have a humidifier place it in a bowl of pebbles that has water in it. That is why most plants leafs curl and get brown along the edges. Not enough humidity

Hi Sandy,
Thanks for your answer. As for humidity I live in a humid area just by the Atlantic ocean, in addition to that I have a tray full of pebbles underneath the plant and it had done well before the leaves get to grow to their full sizes, but since last autumn and they are not forming at all. I will attach a pic maybe you could see and know if its a disease or something missing.

My croton looks healthy, only the new leaves dry and fall off before they get the chance to mature while the older leaves are doing well. I don't know why or what's wrong with this plant. Can anyone help?

By lahib