DietingFood Tips

Low GI Diet

Does anyone use the Low GI Diet? If so, can you give me some information on what to look for on packages of food, to see if it has a low GI. Thanks

Sandie from Madison

By Cheryl (Guest Post)

Hi Sandie:

There are some great web sites to help you

www.glycemicindex.com/

www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

Best of Luck!
Cheryl

Hi Sandy, As you probably know GI refers to how quickly after you eat a food your insulin response happens. As a general rule the less refined a food is the lower the GI Also things like fat, fiber, acid in the dish slow the insulin response. I don;t think this information is on the package label. Also cooking affects the GI . Pasta cooked al dente has a lower GI than when it is cooked longer. Also check into something called the GLYcemic Load which is said to be more accurate than the Glycemic INDEX Good Luck Merlene

Hi, there are so many available if you google
low glycemic index foods

websites I found:
www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/lowglycemicfoodlist.htm
www.lowglycemicdiet.com/gifoodlist.html

Again, each food is going to affect each person differently. I find all processed cereal (all not cooked by me on the stove) will rapidly affect me. Hot cereals that are the worst for me--cream of rice/wheat. Best--old fashioned oatmeal and also shredded mini wheat biscuits.
I find a number of things on the low index list that would drive me bananas right away.
See what affects you and take it one food at a time.