FlooringHome Improvement

How Durable if Laminate Flooring?

I have new laminate flooring and the salesman said that it's very durable. He demonstrated by rubbing a key on the sample piece. It didn't scratch. I want to know from readers if laminate is sturdy and is it really that scratch resistant?

By Charlene from Concord, NC

Anonymous

Like any floor, laminate floors will scratch if you run something sharp across it, but in my opinion the main problem with them is that they can't take much moisture at all or the edges of the laminate will start coming up. When I mop, I have to wring the mop out super dry, and not mop real often.

Ditto! I have it in my living and family room and the guy tried to talk me into putting it in my kitchen, so glad I didn't have the money to do the kitchen at the time. There is several places where my son spilled something under the recliner that we didn't know about and now it is ruined.

I have three medium-size dogs who run in and out of our house through the dog door. I have laminate floor throughout the kitchen and back half of the house. It is very durable, there are no scratches from the dogs nails. However, this floor is a pain because you have to be so careful about moisture on it. We've put a large piece of foam-backed vinyl under the dogs' water dishes to prevent damage from them slopping water on the floor. So, yes, the laminate floor is durable but if I had to do it all over again I'd just get good vinyl flooring put down so that I could mop it without the worries.