Washer Door Damaged by Goof Off

Category Appliances
Goof Off is a potent solvent that may damage the thing you are trying to clean, especially if it is made of plastic or coated with plastic. This is a guide about washer door damaged by Goof Off.

My wife just bought a new washer and dryer. There was a sticker on the front of the washer on the glass. I used Goof Off and it caused a caustic-looking streak. What can I use to take this streak off the glass (plastic)? Please help!

Salvatore

Answers

Best Answer

The glass is really plastic and using chemicals to remove stuck on tags do smear the plastic. You may try an very fine abrasive such as jewelers rouge. Anything coarser such as tooth paste will scratch the plastic. It will be labor intensive and may not look as good as new. You could also try liquid plastic polishes available at automotive stores. I think the best and easier bet is to either replace the plastic window or just live with it.

Best Answer

First be sure the sticker goo is all gone. Vegetable oil on a soft cloth is a safe method. (Dispose of cloth safely afterwards, as it can spontaneously catch fire.)

If the plastic still looks mutilated, Novus Plastic Polish is far and away the best brand I've seen (Google for sources near you). It comes in multiple coarseness, the most coarse being used first and followed up by finer formulations. All with lots of elbow grease. The plastic will look virtually original after using Novus. Don't sweat it too much, though. The plastic will accumulate lots of scratches and dings with normal use.

A good Auto Parts store may have Maguiar's Plastic Cleaner/Polish. I've used it to remove scratches from sunglasses, watch faces, etc. Using soft cotton cloth and just a little elbow grease.

http://meguiars  etail/MEG+G12310

http://www.auto  eguiars1017.html

I just did the same thing yesterday and I now have a haze on my new washer door. There was a price tag on the door that I took off and I used goof off to try to get it off