Tip For Peeling Cooked Potatoes

Does anyone have a tip for peeling cooked potatoes for making potato salad. It seems to take me forever, especially when making a large salad for a group. Must be an easier way.

Orva from Toronto, Canada

I don't believe there is any short cut for peeling cooked potatoes. All I've ever done is to cook the potatoes, drain off the hot water and run some cold water into the pot to cool them down quickly. The skins will peel off very easy with a paring knife and slice the potatoes into a bowl, add extra ingredients for your salad.

If all of us thrifty folks could afford it, we would hire a housekeeper who would cook and clean for us. But then how would we be frugal and thrifty?
Pun! :0)

Marge from NY

I find raw potatoes easier to peel, so I peel first, cool, cook and slice later. When in a hurry, I have cooked sliced potatoes. Cook about 10 - 12 minutes for sliced ones.

Also, there are recipes for "rustic" potato salad for which the potatoes are not peeled. Google "rustic potato salad recipes" to find one you like.

Thanks Jean & Marge for the tips on peeling potatoes, I think I will try Marge's first. I like your idea of putting them in cold water, never thought of that and Jean I will also try yours. Thanks a bunch

I peel potatoes and cube them up-then boil them like for stewed potatoes. When they are soft drain and put in eggs and other ingredients. Stir and mix well---done !!

I always peel first(I have an electric peeler that saves alot of time when I'm making a large batch of potato salad)then cook until done. I usually cool in fridge overnight and cut the next day . That way the potatoes don't break up and MASH(when not cooled) instead of CUBE( after cooled.)

Pretty inexpensive for a potato peeler now a days. $20.00 bucks saves alot of time.
Go to: www.asseenontvguys.com and under search put potato peeler.
Hope this helps.

Have you seen the advertisement for Tater Mits on TV. They are gloves that you use to peel potatoes. I read somewhere that you have to parboil potatoes first.

You could scrub them 'til clean and then leave the peel on.

WOW! The tips keep coming in. I will let you know at the end which one I liked the best. Thank you very much.

Orva

I actually peel the potatoes before I boil them.

Peel potatoes before boiling. When done make mashed potatoes, using mayonnaise instead of milk. Add whatever else you like in your salad. I serve this warm as a side dish.

When I get a request for a large amount of potato salad, I bake the potatoes after cleaning and rubbing them with oil. When cooled slightly, cut each potato in half. Hold the half with a pot holder and scoop out the potato with a large spoon. Later you can run a knife through the bowl of potatoes to chunk the pieces up.

I keep getting requests bacause the potato salad has such a good flavor that no one can figure out how to duplicate (it tastes like baked potatoes)!!

Cook the potatoes in salted water. When easily pierced with a fork, they are done. Drain off the hot water & put cooked potatoes into a sink full of cold water & ice-mostly ice. Allow to cool completely, adding more ice if needed. I don't know why but the skins seem too loosen up & it is easier to peel them with a paring knife-just grab an edge & pull. Cooking potatoes with the 'jackets' on, makes for a better flavored potato salad.