Moldy Smell in Tupperware?

I have a Tupperware bread keeper that I love. Unfortunately I left a partial loaf of homemade bread in it too long and now it smells like moldy yeast. The store-bought loaf I put in it I had to throw away because it tasted the same way. What can I use to get that smell out? Thank you!


Jane from Bonifay, FL

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

March 23, 20090 found this helpful

I'd try baking soda; it pretty much does the job for a lot of things.

I'd put 1/2 a cup (to start) to see if that works, cover the tupperware with the lid, and check every day to see if the smell is gone. I'd also change the baking soda out and use fresh until the smell goes away.

I read on this site that fish odors can be removed from refrigerators by crumpling up some newspapers and putting them in the fridge.

I did this and the smell was gone in around two days. If baking soda doesn't work, maybe newspaper will.

I'd also try lemon juice or bleach as a last resort. JUST DON'T MIX THEM TOGETHER.


Never mix anything with bleach as it will cause toxic fumes to form. Good luck!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
March 23, 20090 found this helpful

Don't remember where I heard of it, but have been sticking any of my smelly plastic containers in the freezer (after washing & letting air dry fully). Usually 1-2 days and the smell is gone.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
March 24, 20090 found this helpful

I'd place a small amount of bleach and liquid dish soap and fill the remainder of the bowl with warm water, letting it soak fifteen minutes in the sink with the lid in the same solution, both covered with foil or clear wrap. The heat will expand and let the bleach and soap clean into the plastic where the meatloaf juice got into. It should work when rinsing with cold water and then smell it. Repeat if necessary. Good luck and god bless. : )

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
February 26, 20170 found this helpful

NEVER safe to mix bleach and soap together! Toxic fumes.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
March 25, 20090 found this helpful

You could try washing it out with peroxide. It got rid of the mold/mildew on some clarinet reeds I have.


Polly from Turtle Creek

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!


Home and Garden Cleaning DishesMarch 23, 2009
Back to School Ideas!
Coronavirus Tips
Pest Control
Summer Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2020-07-18 10:14:24 in 2 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.