PlumbingHome

Fixing a Slow Running Drain

Category Plumbing

I have 5 year old plumbing in my kitchen and bath. Both drains are now running very slowly. Any quick, inexpensive solutions?

By Dar G

On the rare occasion I have slow drains, I first sprinkle baking soda down the drain, followed by vinegar, and then boiling water. I may have to do it a couple times, but it definitely helps, and I haven't used any nasty chemicals.

It might be hair in your bath drain. You can get something called a "Zip-it" at your hardware store. It's a long thin strip of plastic with nubs on the sides that you use to pull hair from your drain. It works great!

My drains are slow allot of the time, so I buy household 100% lye drain opener, (brand I think is Rooto) from Menards. Read the directions on the plastic jar, it works very well for me.

In a pinch, a wire coat hanger, cut down to about 10 inches, with the tip of the wire turned up on one end to form a hook shape, works well to bring up hair and other stuff stuck in the drain.

Unfortunately I can't remember the combination, but use vinegar and baking soda in the drains and the foaming action is supposed to clear it. If you are really desperate use about 1/3 gallon of bleach. That has worked for me when I couldn't afford expensive drain cleaners. DO NOT USE this if you have a septic tank or it will kill the friendly bacteria that helps digest wastes.