Hand Sanitizer - For Home or Office

I am looking for a easy homemade sanitzer I can use at work and home. Especially at work since I work at a desk where multiple people use it on different shifts.

Thanks - Laww

Get a bottle of alcohol and use this as a sanitizer. Don't forget your telephone as a lot of germs can gather there. Unscrew the mouthpiece and wipe it out thoroughly. Prevents a lot of colds.

I use a mixture - 1 part rubbing alcohol to 3 parts distilled water.. Put it in a spray bottle. Squirt and wipe everything in site .

It gives stainless steel a real shine.
I also use it to clean windows. My grandmother used to add a teaspoon of ammonia to the mixture when she washed windows, but I dont..

What exactly are you afraid of catching? Our entire environment and skin surface is covered with micro-organisms - the vast majority of which are harmless. It is impossible to sterilise human skin, or surfaces in an open room environment. Carrying your worries to their logical conclusion would mean you would have to sanitise any public areas you frequent like all forms of public transport, restaurant tables, shop counters, etc. The most common source of human infections is other human beings - are you going to 'sanitise' family members before hugging and kissing them? I know I'm getting silly now but there is a massive industry supporting the advertising that encourages us to think it is necessary to 'sanitise' our homes and workplaces, and buy the products to do it.

There are times when sanitising something is appropriate - things that have been in the sick room or chopping boards where raw meat is prepared for example. These are areas where there is a demonstrated risk of cross infection - but sitting at an office desk is not one of them. If the desk area is dirty wash it with detergent and water and stop worrying. Detergent and water is used to clean all areas in hospitals, (except where there is a demonstrated cross infection risk such as body fluids). The overuse of antibacterial products is hastening the development of resistant bacteria and is neither effective nor necessary for general cleaning in the home or workplace.

Hi Laww, I can understand your concern, but this may one place 'frugal' isn't as important as your peace of mind, and you should go ahead & splurge on the real storebought stuff. It's true we can't protect ourselves from all germs and we have to pick our battles. Just think of all the bacteria on the handles of shopping carts where everyone has touched, or money which is the dirtiest thing in the world, computer keyboards, the toilet handle or the pen the bank or a cashier hands you to sign something with.

All these things are touched by multitudes of people before reaching your hands.
I once watched a video of a well known professional male cleaner who went thru a house cleaning & sanitizing the whole house except for the toilet handle - how many people wash their hands BEFORE flushing??? ha! You'd be very surprised by how many people seldom wash their hands. In absence of any sanitizer just remember don't touch your face & wash your hands often. And be sure to wash your hands BEFORE using the bathroom to keep down bladder & 'female' infections.