Cooking TipsFood Tips

Ways To Avoid Flipping Food While Cooking

Frozen onion rings and french fries need to be turned midway after some baking time. Is there a suggested method of baking that can omit the food flipping step?

Holly from Richardson, TX

Whenever I cook something that needs to be flipped mid-way I always forget. I started using a baking stone- you can pick them up for less than $6 at most kitchen stores. I don't have to flip anything anymore and I never burn the food.

I watch food network alot and someone on there, Tyler Florence I think, heated up his pan in the oven as he was preheating the oven. So when he laid his food on the pan it was cooking on the bottom already.

I can't help you avoid the flipping, but maybe I can make it a little easier. Along with the food already on the baking sheet, I put another sheet (same size) in the oven too. When it is time to flip, I simply lay the empty sheet on top of the food and flip. This ensures even cooking and no dropped food in the bottom of the oven.

Tamak
"Be kind others. You do not know what burdens they are carrying."

I set a wire rack inside the pan I am using to catch any crumbs, grease or oil and lay the food across the wire rack, after spraying with a product like Pam. The heat gets to both sides and browns without the flipping.

Whenever I cook things like fries in the oven, I cook them long enough to cook the bottom and then turn the oven to broil. You may have to move the pan to a lower rack to keep it from being too close to the broiler coil. This gets the top cooked as well. We do this all the time. It works really well for frozen pizza, as it gets all the cheese and toppings heated.

Just pre-cook partially in micorwave and then do all your flipping as you finish off in oven.

I use a spatula. Check out the other tip on using two cookie sheets. just flip when ready onto other sheet and place back in oven.