AdviceSkin Care

Getting Rid of a Brown Pigment Spot on Face

What can I use to get rid of or diminish a large brown streak on my forehead?

By Teressa A. from Bismarck, MO

I don't know if this will work, but my dad gets the pre-cancer spots on his face and bald head and uses a homemade remedy he came across. You mix organic cayenne pepper (he gets his in gel pill form from an organic health food store and you use the strongest that you can find) and organic honey. Dump the contents of the cayenne pepper pill into a little bowl and add a little of the honey. Make a thick paste. Then place this on the spot and cover with a bandaid. Repeat this for a couple of days and it should be gone. I hope this works for you; I know it works for my dad.

I have a brown spot on my face. It is pigmentation, prescription Procelana and other creams don't work. Please help me out.

Rimsha from Decatur

Answers:

I had a couple of these on my cheeks.

Schedule an appointment with a dermatologist he or she will either zap it with liquid nitrogen right there in the office and/or give you a prescription for hydroquinone (same ingredient that's in Porcelana, but a much higher dose.

My spots are gone. (01/26/2008)

By luvmygingerkids

Although it's expensive, there are lasers that will remove pigmentation. Call a dermatologist or laser center for info on cost in your area. You may want to call several, since different types of lasers work differently, and the most expensive one may do it in just 1-2 treatments and be cheapest in the long run. (01/29/2008)

By susanmajp

I had the same thing after my daughter was born. After much trial and error I finally went to see a dermatologist and he did the same thing as luvmykids Doc and it worked.

The cream is called LUSTRA-AF 4% Hydroquinone w/ sunscreens 20spf. You need a prescription unless you buy it someplace like CanadianPharmany.com. Which if you have crappy insurance like me you may want to do anyway because it's cheaper. The cream works right away, too. You will notice the difference the first time you use it, and it will get better every day until it's gone.

As for laser treatments they remove all your pigment, not just the dark and it's gone forever. Think Priscilla Presley or on the extreme end Micheal Jackson. The cream will get the brown and leave the rest alone. Ask your doctor to explain it. It seems like "magic" to me. I don't get it. Good luck.
(02/11/2008)

By ilovenpr(guest)

I read online that making a paste of turmeric and water will cure this. So I tried it and it worked. My brown spots were really bad, not just on my cheeks, but on my upper lip too. You will have to do this twice a day for about 5 days. It will temporarily turn your face yellow, but no trips to the doctor. (06/28/2008)

By keeto789