Homemade Kitten Formula

Here is a kitten formula that is better than any you can buy!

I found a new recipe for kitten formula for newborn and very young kittens that don't have a mother. It is from Best Friends magazine the May/June 2009 edition. It is about the Best Friends Sanctuary and it is a great formula for kittens:

• 3 egg yolks (no whites)
  • 3 oz. water
  • 3 ounces goat milk from store
  • 4 oz. plain full fat yogurt

Mix well and refrigerate until ready to use. A kitten should eat 7 -15 CC's per feeding.

Warm by placing a bottle of the mixture in a bowl of hot water.

Source: Best Friends Magazine

By Robyn Fed from Hampton, TN

Putting this in my bookmarks. I am always taking in strays. Never know when this could come in handy. Thank you! Thumbs up!

I have another recipe I have used that worked even better and I read this was superior to the one listed above.

In a mixing bowl, mix:

one half cup of evaporated milk,
1 teaspoons of mayonnaise, or an egg yolk,
a drop or two of infant vitamins,
a little squirt of Karo syrup the white kind

If they are dehydrated, I will use homemade pedialyte, which is easily found on the net, and mix it in with this, just a little bit or offer in in a small bowl while they are eating. This really seems to help them grow, I had to hand bottle feed seven of them last month and they really enjoyed this so much. I would put them all in the bathtub on a towel for meals and it was so cute. They just loved lapping it up from the saucers and I would tell the parents who adopted them to supplement their meals with meat baby food and this from time to time. robyn

your not suppose to give any kind of milk except a lactose free milk one. or goats milk. regular milk gives them diarrhea. mayo would have milk in it so would evaporated

I have had better luck with the last formula involving mayo and infant vitamins and evaporated milk....they seem to love it and those ingredients are always around!

I am concerned about the use of raw egg yolks in either of these recipes. There is always the risk of salmonella. That would kill the kittens rather than help them thrive.

Get pasteurized eggs. I have not seen anyone get poisoning from store eggs.

They need the fat vitamins and protein that the yolk provides

Definitely. I think it is irresponsible to ignore that. There should be instructions for how to cook the preparation. Hopefully it is as simple as mixing the egg(s) in then boiling. I am so concerned about this that I am reluctant to use eggs. It is frustrating not knowing what to do.

As for pasteurized eggs, I have never heard an expert say that raw eggs are safe for people.

Pasturized raw eggs are considered safe to eat by the CDC and the USDA. Here's a snippet from one of the government pages I found on it:

"Make sure that foods that contain raw or lightly cooked eggs, such as hollandaise sauce, Caesar salad dressing, and tiramisu, are made only with pasteurized eggs."

www.cdc.gov/.../

Nearly all storebought eggs have been pasturized so this shouldn't be a concern for most people.

You should always hear the formula when it is made to over 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

Pets Cats Cat Food RecipesAugust 19, 2009
🍂
😷
🎄
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf64891493.tip.html