Product FinderConsumer Advice

Recommendations for Dishwasher Detergent

What is the best dishwasher detergent to use?

By Marlene from Mission Viejo, CA

If you like to use consumer reports information and you have a membership to Costco, or know somone who does. Get their store brand "Kirkland" Dishwasher soap as they have always ranked high.

Dawn
frugalforlife.com

I use Cascade packs/Cascade powder
I have also used a more green alternative:
1 part borax(3 mule team is the brand)
1 part baking soda
Mix together and put one spoon full in dishwasher, for the green, make sure you have rinse agent (vinegar is popular)
Many recipes for homemade dish detergent are available on this site.

NOTE: High efficiency machines are different but I would refer to manufacturer website for detergent preference
do not put in regular dish detergent to sub for dishwasher detergent it can ruin motor on some machines.

I think product success depends on how hot your water gets when using the dishwasher. Cooler water doesn't dissolve the detergent. My machine has a sanitizing rinse (hot). I've had good results from store brands like the WalMart GoodValue and the one Aldi sells (Reeva).

I buy my dishwasher detergent from the dollar stores. I don't buy the name brands since I'm interested in value and not in a popular name brand.

Anonymous

I noticed no matter what dishwasher detergent I used, when I would rinse a clean dish under the faucet, I could see what looked like soap bubbles. Then I heard on the news that if you want to be sure all of the detergent is rinsed off in the dishwasher, you only need to use about 1 teaspoon.

I started doing that, my dishes come out just as clean, and there are no soap bubbles when I rinse a dish.

I prefer using a liquid detergent, I have found that some powdered detergents don't dissolve so well. This link might help you decide which detergent to use.
housekeeping.about.com//dishwasherdeter.htm

You could read the dishwasher manual to see what the manufacturer recommonmends. You could also experiment with different brands to find one you like.
My preference is Cascade that comes in small sachets. Place the small packet in the opening for the soap and start the dishwasher. Works very well for me.

I find it matters what type of water you have. We have hard water (country living with a well) so; we need to prewash and I use the Cascade/Dawn combo packs with jetdry for plastic.

My friends with "city water" can get buy with anything.

Many years ago they said to use Tang. Put the granluas in the cup same as dishwasher cleaner. I've used it for years. Good luck.

You must try different kinds to see what is the best for your water. I personally prefer Calgon powder, as it does a good job in my softened water, and is less expensive than the capsules. I have used Sunlight in other locations with other kinds of water, and in one place had to give the machine a cup of vinegar for the last rinse cycle. You have to experiment.

I have a softened water. I find that the generic from Walmart made nice tablets to drop in.

Maintain your spotless rinse conditioner for extra cleanliness look. When on sale I get finish.

I know I am a bit late chiming in, but I checked a quality comparison report one time, and their findings were that Walmart's brand (the granulated kind in the box) was on a par with the more expensive brands. I have been using it for years and only run a rinse with a couple cups of vinegar once every week or so, just to keep lines clear. This is a dishwasher that was installed in 1996, and is still going strong. Hope that is some help. Loretta from Theodore, Alabama