SoupFood Tips

Enhancing Canned Lentil Soup

If you had a can of store bought low sodium lentil soup, what would you do to make it more interesting?

Thanks,
Holly from Richardson, TX

Before you spoon the soup into the bowl put a small amount of shredded cheese in the bowl. The heat from the soup will melt the chesse and add some interesting flavor.

I always make my own lentil soup and use carrots, onions and celery which I saute in a little olive oil, then add the rest of the ingredients. You can also try that with canned soup if there aren't enough veggies for your taste. I sometimes add sliced franks (beef, chicken, turkey, whatever you like) and elbow macaronies. Not sure what is in canned soup so I may be repeating what is already in the can. Also I sprinkle parmesian cheese over it too.

LI Roe

I guess it would depend on what was already in the soup. I suppose you could sautee some onion and add to it and perhaps some celery as well. I make my own lentil soup and it's not hard. Lentils cook fairly quickly so no need to soak. Perhaps you could add a dash of tabasco to kick it up a notch!

We use my mother in law's recipe that is a Lebanese dish. Add some ground beef and onion. Put it over brown rice.

I found this recipe and have used it for church pot luck. Depending on the size of the can of soup....for a campbells soup size can...1/2 C. fresh carrots diced small, 1 bunch scallions diced small, saving sliced tops for garnish; saute carrots and onions in 2 tbsp. frozen concentrated orange juice, until tender crisp. Mix in soup and dilute with only half of the water. Bring to a simmer; add Cumin to taste. A touch of ginger, A touch of nutmeg, and a touch of garlic powder. You don't want to overwhelm the flavor of the lentils. A dollop of low fat sour cream. 1 Tablespoon of sliced tops from green onions. MMMMMMM. Great with fresh from the oven (bread machine?) Homemade Whole Wheat Bread.

Add some salsa