Mold on Petunia Leaves

I have petunias in a hanging basket. It seems to have leaf mold. We have been having some hot and humid weather lately. The plant does get full sun and looks beautiful but the center leaves are dying and the mold is spreading. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remedy this and ways to prevent this problem?

Thanks for any help.

Mike from PA

Try some baking soda in a spray bottle and spray your plants ? Mite work and won't hurt them.

Editor's Note: Baking soda will kill weeds so I don't think it would work and might kill the plants.

Use a Q-tip or cotton ball moistened with alcohol and gently wipe the mold off a few leaves. Wait a day or two to see if the plant is OK and the mold is gone. If so, treat the entire plant. If it doesn't help or harms the few places you have treated, just 'prune' out the damaged pieces. I have had great success using alcohol on other plants to cure their ills, so perhaps the petunias will do well, too.

For mold removal, there is an enzyme based cleaner that has apparently been used successfully on plants. I recall reading their faq sheet online and you might want to check them out. Their products are very safe.

They carry MoldZyme - I use it for mold removal on my showers, gutters, etc (you name it). The company that manufactures it is EcoDisocoveries (www.ecodiscoveries.com).

Hope this helps in your quest for mold removal from plants.

-John