Remove Tape Residue from Dry Erase Board

Our dry erase board use to be used for employee schedules. They used black electrical tape (at least 4 years ago) to create a grid. I recently removed all of the tape and there is a black residue left. I need to know what I can use to safely clean this board to remove that residue. We don't want to spend money on a new one if we can salvage this one.

Thanks,
Rene

Best Answer

I bought a 4'x6' dry erase board for 40 bucks because the owner gave up trying to clean the tape residue that was on it for years. I came on this forum and read what I can use to clean it. I used Mr.Clean multi-surface - fail. I used Tilex - fail. I used alcohol (50%) - fail, I used the Magic Eraser - works but is way too much work and rubs off surface. I used shaving cream - fail. I used Windex - fail. I called my mom to pick up Goo Gone from the hardware store, but before she came home I read that someone tried Pam cooking spray. I tried it and was shocked beyond belief that after 30 seconds the residue looses and can be wiped off clean. Not even a lot of elbow grease is needed. After 10 minutes of cleaning, I buffed in the excess Pam into the board and it shined white as snow and good as new and gave it that nice finish that makes wiping off dry-erase marker a snap. I'm looking at it right now and still can believe I bought this board for only 40 bucks.

Have a 4x8 magnetic dry erase board that had permanent marker and sticky residue from double backed tape used to attach document holders to the board.

A product called 'Expo White Board Care' did the trick. This product quickly removed the permanent marker and I was able to sit the board horizontally, spray on the product to the area with the adhesive residue and let it sit for 5 minutes.
Used a putty knife and the residue came off in a snap; very few calories burned to save a nice board!

I didn't have any type of 'oil' so I tried honey and it worked! Then cleaned it with the dry erase spray and GONE!

Best Answer

The spray on Pam worked great! I used Wal-Marts non stick spray and my white board is good as new! Great tip!

Anonymous

Works perfectly!!

Works perfectly!!

any cooking spray works

Best Answer

Thinking Pam is essentially vegetable oil, and not having any Pam, I tried some vegetable oil on a napkin. Worked like a charm. Thanks!

Anonymous
Best Answer

Vegetable oil and Canola oil work great! The sticky residue slid right off!

Anonymous
Best Answer

So I tried a list of things before it actually worked
Magic Eraser - Rubbed way too hard and left a scratch in the board

Nail Polish Remover - Did Nothing
Windex - Nothing
All Purpose Cleaner - Nothing
Body Oil - It was some Nuetrogena that I had on hand. Came off in 2 seconds.
I put a little bit on a cotton ball and it came right up. Then I cleaned the board with Windex to get the oil off. Looks great, works fine again.

Anonymous
Best Answer

You are going to laugh but I just got it off with peanut butter, I remember that it works on gun so I tried it on my 3 year old granddaughters white board and it was so easy a 3 year old did it

I don't know if this will work without doing damage to your dry erase board ,but I'm pretty sure "GOO GONE" will take the tape residue off. Try a small place in a corner first. Wipe off the Goo Gone with a drop or two of liquid dish soap and warm water. Rinse well and DRY with soft cloth Good Luck. GG Vi

You also might try WD-40. I know it takes off sticky labels, and it doesn't seem like it would hurt a dry-erase board.

By (Guest Post)

OOPS or GOO-Gone, or nailpolish remover.

By Donna (Guest Post)

Maybe you would have luck with the MR Clean Magic Eraser. I LOVE THAT PRODUCT. if you havent tried it, check it out.

By Ann (Guest Post)

WD-40 will work.

Does anyone know what exactly is in WD-40? I've read lists of dozens of things that it can be used for but I hesitate to use it because I really don't like using chemicals in my home.

Thanks for any info you might have.

By walker (Guest Post)

try rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball. Sometimes it takes a little elbow grease. Or use the product Goo Be Gone.

To remove sticky residue from labels, etc. we use baby oil, which is mineral oil on a tissue or rag. Never used it on a dry erase board...you would have to clean off the oil with at least soap/water b/4 writing on it.

By Zubrin (Guest Post)

Use windex and it works, better than "goo gone".

By Shane (Guest Post)

BTW, I was just using WD-40 (it did not get the tape residue off) and the bottle says harmful or fatal if swallowed and that it contains petroleum distillates. Based on that I would follow the precautions listed on the bottle.

By Claire (Guest Post)

Yeah nail polish remover works with a little elbow grease...good luck!

I am trying to get tape off of my dry erase board. I have a lot to get off and I've tried rubbing alcohol which doesn't work. I am trying the Mr.Clean magic eraser and it works when you rub really hard, but the magic eraser really tears (crumbles) apart.

If I continue with this method, I think it will use about 3 erasers. It sounds as though goo gone will work (but i don't have any)....I think i'll try baby oil and see if that works.

By Bill U (Guest Post)

Peel the tape off as best you can and spray the remaining sticky goo with De-Solv-it (available in the household cleaning products at Wal-Mart). Allow to soak for a short time and rub with a soft cloth.

Oh, by the way, WD-40 is not fish oil. It's just another petroleum based solvent. Check it out on snopes.com and don't spray it on yourself.

Anonymous

I used lemon Pledge - and while my issue was weird tape (not electrical) that was applied to make a grid on the board and the cleaning solution caused it to calcify and become brittle, the Pledge did a great job 'moisturizing' the tape and getting most of it off without resorting to finger nails. I used regular cleaning solution to take the Pledge residue off, so it works okay.

Anonymous

Toothpaste also works! It's abrasive enough to remove the adhesive but not so abrasive it strips the board of its erasable coating

How do I get Bostik art and craft glue of my white board