AdviceDogs

Dog Pulling Hair Out

Can anyone help me? My 2 yr old Poodle pulls his hair out. The vet put him on fish oil about a year ago. He is groomed once a month, stays in the house, and doesn't have fleas, but bites and pulls his hair out.

By Pam

It's possible your dog has allergies that make his skin itch. He could be allergic to something in his food, but it's more likely he's allergic to something that is used when he is groomed. Many dogs (and people) are allergic to the artificial fragrances used in personal care products. Maybe you could try using all-natural shampoos, etc. when he is groomed, even if it means buying your own products and taking them to the groomers.

You didn't say whether it is the same spot or more than one that he is pulling out. If it is one spot then there is the problem, is the skin red? Sometimes it is a mental problem and may be solved with more attention (his personal attention) sounds odd but that may be a thing to consider. Put a pet coat over the area is another option and keep his hair trimmed short. I bought my own clippers and do my own now as it was too expensive to have someone trim them and I trim every 2 weeks and they don't sweat. you could also try athletes foot cream with tolfanate in it as the chewing causes a fungus to grow and on my white poodle it took one dose and no more chewing on herself.

Sounds like allergies to me. My Lhasa Apso did the same thing. She also licked her feet A Lot. Debra in Charlotte

Try athletes foot spray (any brand) . If there is one flea, that is another problem and you need to get back to us. Spray the AFS on the feet along with the bald spots. My old fashioned vet says they pick up fungus of the feet same as we do only from more places. Sometimes if the feet are irritated, the dog wants to itch all over. Keep us posted. We all ant to help.