Keeping a Master Grocery List on the Computer

contest winner icon

I need to keep a constant stock of items to avoid extra trips into my favorite discount grocery store in the next town. Most pantry items in my hometown store are just too expensive to get (sometimes a three dollar difference!) After reviewing my grocery receipts and pantry for a month, I devised a shopping list on my computer that lists everything I use in my home, broken down into general categories like Produce/Fresh; Frozen; Pantry; Office; Toiletries/Household.

I saved it on MS Word, and before I go shopping I do an inventory, then open my list on my computer, "delete" what I do not need to buy, and print out the list. When I close the program, I choose NOT to save the changes, so I always have the complete list. Stuff that needs to be purchased at a specialty store is italicized, and if I have coupons, I highlight the item and keep them with my list, so I don't forget them. The list is very easy to read, and I have extra room to write down notes or unexpected items (like car parts!) It takes a little time to set it up, but the time and gas I save from forgetting an item is very valuable!

By Kelly from Willamina, OR

What a cool idea! I am always making a new grocery list, and this would save me a lot of time. Thanks for the tip!

Excellent idea!!!
I used to do the same thing but I don't think I ever got everything on the list.. then I just gave up.. and now,.. oh no..i forgot this or i forgot that...

Would you share your list? Thanks

I am not sure if this will post right, but gives you an idea.......

PRODUCE/FRESH
Apples
Bananas
Butter
Carrots
Cheese, American
Cheese, Colby-jack
Cheese, Mozzarella
Cheese, Parmesan
Cottage Cheese
Cream Cheese
Eggs
Grapes
Milk, whole
Onions
Peppers
Potatoes
Sour cream
Yogurt, variety

FROZEN/MEAT
Beef
Blueberries, frozen
Bread Dough
Broccoli, frozen
Carrots, frozen
Chicken
Fish
Green Beans, frozen
Juice Concentrate:
Peas, frozen
Peppers/Onions, froz
Pork
Strawberries, frozen
Turkey

Then I have Pantry/Bulk (for baking, canned goods, seasonings) and Other for household. I repeat vinegar and baking soda on both of those categories, so I don't forget to buy bulk sizes or baking sizes. I save the completed one and print out what I need by cutting the extra (helps me to prioritize too)

I am still working on restructuring the list to fit my grocery store, but the way they lay out stores is illogical to me! I tend to circle around (produce/bulk/meat/dairy) then hit the aisles for canned/boxed. But I haven't gone over my limits yet!

Go to www.heb.com and sign in for a passwork and their grocery list is printable and very complete.
This was my grocery store in Southwest Texas and I miss it very much.

Excellent idea!!!

Would you share your list? Thanks

Great idea. I have mine in Excel and use check boxes to mark what I need as I take the inventory. That way I don't forget items I may not use all the time but like to keep on hand.

Loved the list you posted but wish you had included the bulk item list also and the household list.
Thanks in advance for this.

Dee, thank you for the HEB web site.
I signed up and clicked on their "shopping list in RTF format".
I copied and pasted the list in word pad.
Then I just went through it and deleted the items that I don't buy.
What an easy way to have a shopping list on my pc.

Thank you a bunch!!

Palm has come up with the same idea and put it in PDA format. I have been using it for years and it works out great. It is an add-on called Handmark with lots of tools.

~Wendola~

Someone like me who has to sacrifice food items every month to make the bills . I just try and buy a variety of food differant each time to make us feel better. Perhaps keeping track on the computer my food purchases every month might work ,but I don't know if I would get the same satisfaction when my wife and I sit down to a pork chop dinner complete with 2 veggies and a desert.Most of the times we find different ways to prepare Turkey Burger, or chicken and good old hot dogs. It is a challange to try and stay creative. When shopping I also have to consider the gasoline costs and most of the time the food savings pays for it. Coupons are not very good for us since the cheaper brands of foodstuffs always are lower in price . I remember mom in the late 1950's shopping for food for two weeks, that dear lady always manage to save a few dollars of her food budget and we always had food on the table.

Well I am going to make a list and see what happens.
Happy Food Shopping to all
Mr. Thrifty

I have the same type of list in Word on my pc. We have a notepad just for writing down grocery needs and then I add them to my master list. We do the same for highlighting coupons, make notes. I started the master list by saving all handwritten lists for a couple of months.

Go to this website and download this free grocery list software. It saves everything, the names of the items purchased how many you want and the price of each on your grocery list, along with the total and prices can be changed and items added whenever necessary.

http://www.home … com/shoplist.htm

I do something of the same except I print out several copies of the complete list onto scrap paper, then post one on the fridge. As we need something we tick it on the list, then take the list to the shops.

Makes doing the grocery shop more efficient, we never forget anything, and because we're strict about the list, rarely surrender to impulse buying at the grocery. Our rule is any impulse purchase can only be made if the item and price are an insanely good bargain, and only if the item is something we use or have been thinking about trying.

I have done this for over 20 years now. I have a master list on my computer of the things that I buy, with 10 lines at the bottom to use for additional things. I print out 50 copies and keep them in a spot in a kitchen drawer with a highlighter and a pen. As I run low on things, I highlight the item name.

When it's time to shop, I grab the list and go buy the highlighted items. Then I toss the list. No need to constantly update the computer list and I find this takes much less time for me than having to redo the list on the computer.

I, too, had to resort to a computerized list when my husband suffered two strokes recently. My sister helped me out while I was busy at the hospital and when he came home, to do grocery shopping for me and we found a computerized list was the most helpful. I made a general list of the things I was out of and needed and emailed the list to her. Eventually, we got the list down to pinpoint what aisles she needed and the list worked great. If there were things on sale at a particular store I would highlight the item and the other store so she knew where to shop.