OdorsCleaning

An Animal Died In Our Camper

Category Odors

We just opened our camper and noticed that we had a very bad smell. A cat had gotten in somehow and died. Does anyone know how to get the odor out. I have disposed of everything possible.

Fuberg from Funk NE

Treat the area where the animal died, and several inches around, with a mix of 1 part baking soda and 3 parts activated charcoal. You can get this in the pet section of the store. Put a thick layer of it on the spot, then leave the camper closed up for 24 hours. Vacuum up and reapply. Do this three or four times until you notice the smell abating.

This also works great in those moldy stuffy fridges that have been closed up and turned off...a pan of this mix in the freezer and in the refrigerator, let the fridge run closed up for two days, and the odor will go away.

Wierd but the only thing that really works for

skunk smells according to this site is

douche. Maybe buy a douche kit and pour it into

a flat like flying saucer on floor and close door

and maybe it smell less or clean floor

with it. good luck.

I am so sorry an animal died in your camper. We had a dead mouse in our trailer and the smell was overwhelming. With reference to the "douche", that is probably vinegar, which would be cheaper and undiluted.

I would need to wipe everything in the camper including the headliner and inside the cupboards and fridge, with bleach/water solution. If bleach isn't practical for all surfaces then use white vinegar. Wash the curtains, clean the upholstery.

Use the activated charcoal and baking soda too. If this sounds like detail "over-kill" it probably is, but I would have to get every vestige of dead cat out of there. Good luck.

Once everything has been removed, as you have done, buy some inexpensive ground coffee and put piles of it on pieces of newspaper (for easy clean up) all through the camper. Close it up and let it sit for up to a week.

I had a friend who was quartermaster at Guantanimo back in the early 80s, and they used this on containers that lost their refrigeration while transporting meat to the base. They would dump the rotted meat into the ocean, pressure wash the inside of the container (like a tractor-trailer), then close it up with coffee grounds inside and let it sit.

Good luck--it can't be fun for you!

Buy a bag of BBQ charcoal (like Kingsford) and put it in small boxes around the camper. It will absorb the odor.

Try putting a large dish of vinegar in the camper and closing it up at least overnight or for a day or two. I read somewhere that this will kill odors.

I would wash everything down I could with vinegar and ammonia mixed in a gallon of

of water. then spray with fabreeze. I had a friend once tell me that her neighbor was transporting a thanksgiving turkey in her trunk that spilled all over the carpet in it > I guess after a few days it was unbearable to even drive the car. First she cleaned it with the above then let it dry real good then sprayed it with fabreeze. I guess you can't smell it at all now. Or so I have been told.

Good luck.