Hibiscus Not Blooming

I have a bright orange hibiscus that is about fifteen years old. it has been outside in a pot all summer long but only bloomed once with two flowers. It is about five feet high and the leaves are thick and green, but it is not blooming. I will bring it inside soon, but what should I do with it so it will bloom in the upcoming months?

By Lynda D

Hi! Is this a tropical or hardy hibiscus? I've found with the tropicals that they either are not getting enough water, lack of fertilizer or are root bound. I'm sure you've kept up with the water and such so if it's tropical I'd guess it's to big for your pot. Leaving the rootswithout enough room for the roots to grow.

For a hardy hibiscus all of these are also likely possibilities. However hardy hibiscus can be finicky. Many prefer to be planted in the ground while others thrive in pots. Then again it could just need a good pruning.

When my peppermint schnapps quits blooming it's either water or pruning they need. ( this is a hardy hibiscus ). I discovered that my rose mallow preferred a pot because it wouldn't bloom in the ground! I've had a bad tropical this year too!

How do you usually care for it in winter?

What is a "good pruning"? My hardy hibiscus did just great the first three years. Live in TN so just store it in garage in winter, has always re bloomed every spring - except this year. Appears to be very healthy.
I cut off several new Growth springs to see if this would help it start new blooms but didn't know how many to cut back.
If this doesn't help, I may try transplanting from pot to flower bed in several weeks unless you can give me some tips.
Thanks

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceSeptember 18, 2011
📓
🌻
🎂