Using Diluted Pancake Syrup As Hummingbird Food?

Does diluted pancake syrup make ok hummingbird food?

I would say no, only for the reason that it's full of preservatives and such. I do know that Hummingbird "food" is sold in the stores, WalMart and such.

Here is a recipe I found on-line, sounds a lot like the one my Grandmother used to use, but at that time they used the red food dye (it also helped us kids, we knew not to drink the bright red drink in the fridge!).
Hummingbird Nectar Recipe

1 part sugar/4 parts water

Boil the water first, then measure and add sugar, at the rate of 1/4 cup of sugar to 1 cup of water.

Let cool and store excess in refrigerator until ready to use.

Do not add food coloring, honey (which ferments), or artificial sweetener, which has no nutritional value.

You will need to clean your feeder every few days, with hot water and a mild (10%) bleach solution to inhibit mold. Rinse thoroughly before refilling with water syrup.

Hope that helps.

I don't mean pancake syrup, I mean pure Vt. Maple syrup.

By Rasta (Guest Post)

Michawnpita is correct. This is the recipe that I have used for many years. I boil the water for it gets the chlorine out and any impurities. Do not add color for it is bad for them. Do a Google on hummingbirds and it will tell you. We love watching the sweet little birds. They are outside if our slidding glass door and we watch them while sitting at our dining room table.

By Linda (Guest Post)

NO! Use only a mixture of sugar and water as given above.

By Kate (Guest Post)

An easy way to make hummingbird food: 1 cup water, 1/4 sugar, in a glass measuring cup. Microwave to a boil, and boil until sugar is dissoved. Cool. The ratio is 4 to 1.

If this is the first time you've fed hummingbirds at that location, add some red coloring to the mix. Once they become used to looking for the feeder, you won't need to color it anymore.

No! Please don't use anything but pure white table sugar. Don't add any red coloring -- it causes a fungal growth in the hummingbird's mouth and throat that is painful and interferes with normal feeding.

Buy a bottle brush at the Dollar Tree, and use it just for the feeders every time you change out a feeder. Don't use any kind of cleaner or soap, just use hot water and rinse thoroughly

Home and Garden Gardening Birds & Bird HousesSeptember 14, 2007
📓
😎
😷
🐛
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf68311178.tip.html