FriendshipBetter Living

German Girl Coming To Canada

I am 14. Our neighbor is German and her 14 year old relative is coming here from Germany to see Canada and to learn Eenglish. She'll be here for 3 weeks and we don't even speak each other's languages. I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on what to do? I can't wait, she's coming in 1 week! I bet it will be interesting!

Kristi

A 14 year old from Germany will know some English.

It will sound like she has a hot potato in her mouth,

because they teach British over there, but if she can be

made to understand, that she has to slow down, even

when talking to other teens, she will be quite

understandable.

Most likely she will have one of those pocket dictionaries

and phrase books that most tourists carry, and it might

be a good idea for the host family to also get one of them.

You can get them at any major bookstore, airport gift shops

and some gas stations. Those are cheap.

There are also electronic pocket translators available for

$100 - $500.

While on the net, just open the Humor Letter or browse to

http://webby.com/humor , and click on the Babelfish. It's a

pretty good translator.

In general, don't worry about the language and don't fret

about not instantly understanding every word. Most words

will become clear in the context of a conversation, and if

you looked puzzled enough, the other person will rephrase

what has been said.

Have FUN!

Helmut

http://www.webby.com/humor/

When my children were small we lived in Madrid as we were stationed there with the Air Force. My daughter didn't want to approach the Spanish girls because she didn't understand them. She soon discovered that they all "laughed" in the same language. Smiling, laughing, friendly attitudes will soon break down any barriers and you'll both start learning each other's language sooner than you think. Just have fun together.

A german girl will know a fair bit of English so you'll be able to stumble along.

Culture is simply the way we do things -- what we eat, how we greet each other, who we give presents to, how we celebrate Christmas. For example we don't eat rice and fish for breakfast like some cultures do. Your German friend is from a different culture and it helps if you both can understand that.

You might want to familiarize yourself with culture shock (or a better term is "culture stress") which your German friend will likely experience. Culture shock happens when there are so many differences in the host country that you don't know how to deal with them. (from http://www.uwec  l/pubs/shock.htm). Culture stress happens in stages and one does get through them. If you're aware of how people cope when they are in a different culture, it will help your relationship with her.

Check out the website above or google "culture shock." You'll be glad you did.

Good luck.

coolchinchilla

Go to the library and get some conversational German tapes and books. She will probably speak a fair bit of English but she'll really appreciate your effort to learn a few words in her language!

When my aunt came from Poland to visit us, my mother used a children's picture dictionary along with other translation books to help understand each other. It really did help us communiciate.

Thanks for all your posts they have helped me more, to be ready for her arrival. I'll update you when she arrives. thanks again,

Kristi

To decrease an accent (yours), speak more slowly and speak more deeply.

Also go to places we have here you like to go or do, also places Germans don't have or do. (Where do they vacation, Indonesia?)

In California, we hosted French exchange students. We love Laguna, which they thought was just like South France. We took them to the desert (LA is a desert)--the real desert--Palm Springs.

When my DH was in Japan, the other businessmen were very excited, because Madonna was coming for the first time the next Wednesday. They constantly asked if he liked Madonna. Amidst many smiles, he always said that he did. The following Wednesday, they all went out at noon, turned the corner, and there was a half-mile line for the new McDonald's. hahaha

Sometimes the things you take for granted visitors love to see. Be sure you understand religious or cultural limitations, such as prohibitions against fishing with a hook, or certains foods, or dressing immodestly.

About.com has a good elementary German learning site (also Spanish).

To learn German online check out the free courses offered by Deutshe Welle (German radio). They even have sound files along with them.

Language is about communication, not grammar.

To speak you first have to open your mouth

These are the only 2 rules

I came to a country and knew 3 words (hello, and the other 2 words were for particular foods). I became fluent in 3 months for everyday living.