AdviceGifts

Personalized List As Frugal Gift

An inexpensive birthday gift that is truly appreciated by the recipient is to write a list of things that you admire, like, or appreciate about someone that is the same number long as they are old. For example, if someone is turning 40 you would write a list of 40 things such as:

1. You make me laugh
  2. You are my best friend
  3. You are honest and trustworthy

Print it on really special paper and it is still affordable.

By Beth from Albany, NY

Anonymous

What a sweet and heartfelt idea!

Beautiful idea. Sounds almost like something I might have thought of - wish I had!

I was low on cash around my boyfriends birthday last year. I got him a little gift but wanted to do something special, personal and on the cheap. Then I remembered something my mom had done for my grandmother a few years back. So I started to write out a list, "27 Things I Love About You". You get the idea, one for every year of age. Some of the things I wrote were serious and personal. Others were silly and lighthearted. I put everything in a recycled shirt box that I had decorated with ric-rac, old buttons and scrapbook paper. Cheaper than wrapping paper because it was all stuff I already had around the house.

When my boyfriend read the letter he cried. He said he loved it because it wasn't something I just went out and bought, but something I put a lot of time and thought into! He saved the letter and the box. Years ago when my mom did this for my grandma, she also cried because she was so touched. It's so important to let people know how you feel about them. (By the way I only had to think of 27 things, my mom had to think of 75!)

By Glaittli from Port Orchard

Answers:

Frugal Gift List: "Things I Love About You"

I just had to respond because I did this too for my husband's 40th. My dh loved the gift also and it wasn't hard or intimidating, I found that I could have come up with MORE than 40 reasons why I love him! (04/29/2009)

By jordanzmom

This is Super adorable. What a Great idea. Way to go Mom for giving you this idea and you for recycling it. (05/02/2009)

By marzadmin