How To Keep Your Pets From Digging

I have 3 dogs and when I planted a shrub or a tree, the dogs would go to the new plantings and start digging it up. I started to leave the dogs indoors while I planted, so they could not see what I was doing. This did help some. But I still got holes next to the big planted items.

I still plant my shrubs and trees the recommended way, but now when I get the hole 3/4 of the way filled, I put dog poop in the hole (you don't need much) and then continue to fill the hole the rest of the way up. The dogs leave it alone. They don't like digging up their own poop. If dogs dig along a fence line put poop in before you fill the hole and they will leave that spot alone.

By xintexas from San Antonio, TX

Anonymous

This sounds like such a strange idea but it makes a bunch of sense! Good tip and thanks for sharing it!

Now that you've planted your garden, you need to make sure your pets don't dig it up! One important question is: why are your pets digging?

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.