Bing (Budgie)

Bing is a three year old Budgie. Initially, I bought Bing as a birthday gift for my husband. Bing was in a bin with close to 50 other birds and it took two employees and a fishing net to catch him.

He loves to sing. The only time he's NOT singing is when he's sleeping. And even then, he occasionally wakes up, sings a couple notes and falls right back to sleep. And millet. He loves to eat millet.

I'd never owned a bird before, knew nothing about them and, quite frankly, he frightened me a bit. It took me close to 5 months to hand-train Bing. Something that usually can't be done at all with Budgies born and sold in pet stores. But I sat by his cage every day, 20 minutes here, 20 minutes there and spoke to him. Initially baby-talk but after about three weeks, I found myself spilling my guts! To a bird!

Little by little he came closer. The day he climbed into my hand was the day a valuable life-lesson was learned. Patience and the ability to over-come fear. I'm really glad I made those employees get that fish net.

By April from Albany, GA

Bing is a pretty budgie. It's easier to work with a bird one on one, but add more birds and it's doubly hard. An idea I was given was to tape the bird's voice and if they ever get out of the cage or loose outdoors, you can play the tape back to them and hopefully the bird will return to its cage. The blue edge beaks are male and the pink ones are female. I own three budgies named Jewel (male), Icy and Lemon(female). They are outdoors in their cage during nice weather and brought back inside of an evening and love to sing and chirp at the wild birds and hummingbirds even came to inspect them a few times. They sure do brighten up a home during the winter and enjoy singing when my cds are playing.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Our bird Sky looks similar. Can't get him to talk or climb on my finger. He loves to be hung outside or in our screened porch during the day. He likes the outdoor birds and chirps with them. He goes crazy when a commercial is on tv that is outdoors.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

What a wonderful story. I love how pets bring out the best in us, and teach us valuable lessons.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Our DD has 2 - Hermione and Ginnie. I will say that they are the best pets to evacuate with. Just cover the cage with a towel and off we scurry from hurricanes. Nary a peep during 12 hour plus trips. And no potty stops for a pet. Also, the hotel doesn't count this as a pet, so no extra pet charge.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

They're wonderful pets and with patience will talk. I had one that would tell my little Chihuahua to, "shut up" or "be quiet" because the pup was a barker and he heard it so often. It was funny because the dog hated that bird but would let it ride on her back.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Beautiful budgie/parakeet! I have owned a few parakeets in the past and have learned a few tips. It has been awhile seen I had a 'keet but I do remember that you must not give them too much millet. Millet is like candy to a 'keet. It is not very nutritious but can be given as a treat on occasion. Have fun with Bing!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

What a sweet bird and how pretty.

Reply Like this photo? Yes