Darkening Your Hair Color With Coffee

Category Coloring
This guide is about darkening your hair color with coffee. Finding a natural alternative to enhance your hair color can save you money.

Brunettes, want to enhance the color of your hair? Try this: Steep 1/4 cup coffee grounds in 3 cups hot water and let cool completely. Strain out the grounds and pour over clean, damp hair. Wait 2 minutes, then rinse with warm water. I used old, cold coffee instead of pouring it out. It works! My hair looks great!

Source: FIRST for Women, May 16, 2011

By Raelene from Clarksville, TN

I recently spent a lot of $ I did not have to have my hair low lighted and high-lighted. The original goal was to have my bleached red/orange/gold yellow hair darker. However, I got a hair color a tiny bit darker (very little) than what I had been dyeing it myself. No contrast in color at all. Looks the same to me. No major highlight either.

Here's the question, I read that you can use cold coffee as a way to make your hair darker. Has anyone else heard this? Also, after I did this could I use the powder hair bleach high light kit to put 4 or 5 strips of blond in my front.

Thank you!

Lisa

Answers

Best Answer

I heard about the coffee dye too. Dye is pretty expensive and doesn't last very long lately, so I use the coffee rinse whenever I wash my hair to make the dye last longer. It doesn't seem to hurt my hair, just keeps it the same color longer. But you have to be a brunette to use the coffee, won't work on blondes or redheads. Try it and see.

Best Answer

I just tried the coffee method. I used 3 tbs coffee grinds (a Starbucks decaf bold kind) and made 3 cups of coffee. I think this is too much. Then I mixed 4 tbs of plain yogurt with 1 egg and added a little vanilla extract for smell. Then I also added about 1 tsp olive oil and stirred. Then I chilled the coffee once it was done brewing and mixed it all together. It was too runny and created a huge mess in the bathroom, so if I do it again I will definitely make it more conditioner-like.

Then I did the best I could at getting it saturated evenly through my hair and threw an old towel around my head for about 15 min. Rinsed with warm water, re-conditioned with normal conditioner and dried. It is very slightly darker, if at all. My highlights are definitely still on the blonde side. My natural color seems the most effected, which seems contradictory, but who knows.

I'd recommend doing it because my hair feels really nice now (probably the mixture besides the coffee, but still) and my husband thinks it looks a bit darker, so maybe it is!

Best Answer

Today, I tried darkening my hair with coffee. The bottom section of my hair is very dark but the upper front is somewhat blonde. I have not dyed my hair in months and my roots are completley grown out so I wanted to try a more organic, and cheaper way to do my hair. I already knew that this was not meant for blondes, but on the other hand I tried it and it came out a little more browner. I think if I keep doing this it might work. This is what I did...

First, I made about 2 cups of coffee poured it in a bowl and let in cool down. Then, I went upstairs to my bathroom and covered my hair in the coffee and rubbed in with my fingers. I put my hair up and went down stairs to make the conditioner I was going to use for when I rinsed my hair.

For the conditioner I used white conditioner and coffee blend. Mixed it up really good and showered. When my hair started drying I noticed my roots being a different color. It was not a dramatic difference but I do plan on doing this more and more because as I read I have seen that the more you do it the longer it stays in and the more of a difference you will see.