Switch To Using Aluminum Cans

Currently I get 57 cents a pound for aluminum cans. I am not only reducing waste by switching from plastic bottles to cans, but also earning some money. I have made 5 dollars in less than a month as a single person.

By Kat from Pittsburgh, PA

Just be aware that drinking and eating things out of aluminum cans can increase your chances of getting alzheimers as you get older. Just thought you should know!

I'm not convinced of the aluminum-Alzheimer's connection, but it's certainly better to be safe than sorry. I do wonder if more states will start requiring cash returns on plastic bottles. It seems a good idea, but often the transportation costs to a recycling center seem to outweigh the environmental benefits of recycling. I'm glad you can make a little money directly from the scrap yard for your efforts.

We love to recycle aluminum! We pop off the pull tabs and give them to the DAV (Disabled Veterans of America) as they have a program where they get a donation for every pound of them submitted. My understanding about the concerns about Alzheimer's is that the cans are treated on the inside to prevent leaching but the place that your mouth makes contact on the outside is not. We use straws most of the time and keep a supply of them from the fast food joints in the car. We have a can crusher from the hardware store so we can get more cans in the bags and to decrease storage space and look forward to the aluminum buying days for that extra spare change coming in.

Hi KAT where in PGH can I recycle my coke cans for a couple cents? I have my patio full of crushed cans in bags. Thanks.