Refinishing Wood Floors

Does anyone have or have stained and refinished red oak floors to a pickled oak, limed or pickled white finish on them. I actually want a translucent white beige look and can't find the right stain formula. Most I've seen look too white paint looking. I've seen this finish in so many magazines and website pix, but can't find anyone who knows anything about it.

By Angie from Cleveland, TN

If they are sanded down to the bare wood, I think you can use very thinned down white paint to get the look you want but I would ask at a reputable paint store. They should know.

I am in the process of completing the striping of my old wood floors and have sanded them down to the bare wood. Can anyone help me with the easiest and most effective way to refinish them? Should I look for a stain and then a poly coat to seal them? I know that a latex coat of both is efficient these days. Can anyone describe the process?

Thanks,
Brian in Montana

Answers:

Refinishing Wood Floors

The most beautiful wooden floors are those that show a natural wood color. I have tongue and grove cedar paneling and two floors of solid wood flooring that i stripped down and used Danish oil in the natural clear tone and everything is astonishing. The reason I used Danish oil is it does not color the wood like stains do, but it brings the natural color of the wood out and it also moisturizes it to help prevent cracking, warping, and chipsplits. Also another good hint for dents or dings in wood flooring is to steam them out with a steam iron and thin pillow case or towel between the floor and the iron on high steam. Good luck. (10/21/2005)

By Antoinette