DecoratingHome Improvement

Decorating a Baby's Room on a Budget

We need to decorate a baby's room on a tight budget with a Baby Mickey theme.

By jolene from OK

Paint is an inexpensive home improvement project. Then add a stencil or draw mouse ears by hand (and avoid the overpriced Disney items). You can also add words in fun lettering on the walls to spell out Mickey related words. A collage with images cut out of magazines.

You could buy a Disney character coloring book and some crayons. Color the drawings and put them in frames from the Dollar or thrift store. Maybe the guests at your shower could do this and sign their artwork.

Red fabric with white polka dots for curtains would mimic Minnie's skirt.

This is what I did 23 years ago for my son's room, only with teddy bears. I went to the fabric dept at Walmart and bought several yards of teddy bear print fabric. I then bought embroidery hoops in different sizes.

I cut out pieces of fabric, then I stretched it through the hoops, I glued the rough edges around the back. For a finishing touch I took matching ribbon and tied a bow around the top of each hoop where the screw is. I hung these all over his room and got lots of compliments on them.

Paint is by far the cheapest way to make a room look new and fresh. You can buy cheap old furniture at garage sales or thrift stores, then sand and paint them in happy colors. Remember you can add white to any color to get a lighter shade. So if you have a medium green, blue, purple,red etc. you can pour each in separate cups, add white to each color and have new pastel colors to use for designs or stencils or anything! Have fun!

If you can find Mickey fabric, glue it on the wall with fabric starch and paint a frame around it. Later you can just peel it off.