What Breed Is My Dog? (Golden Retriever Mix)

Can anyone help me figure out what kind of puppy this is? I adopted him from a shelter and am not sure what he is mixed with. I am told golden retriever and collie or husky or chow? He is 5 months old.

Katie from Ozone Park, NY

Darling dog and congrats for adopting from a shelter! He definitely looks like he has lots of Golden Retriever. If he has any dark spots on his tongue (dark blue/purple color) then that is a feature of a Chow. He looks like a great mix of whatever!

Your vet will be able to tell you. I just adopted a Chow puppy and she looks very different (4 months). Plus no purple tongue. The Chow rescue told me that the Chow traits tend to breed very true. I bet it is Collie instead. Definitely a lot of Golden Retriever. What a sweetie, enjoy him. And thanks for getting him from the shelter.

I'd agree with whoever told you that -- he looks like a golden mix to me =)

Yep, golden. and what an adorable dog! So cute with that li'l pink tongue! He looks like a collie too though. That's my vote.

He's going to be the best friend you ever had.The majority of him is Golden Retriever.You didn't tell us his name...
Carefully look at his eyes in this picture.You've got a winner.Many years of love to follow.
Best wishes,Keeper and Panda Bear

sorry i forgot his name. My puppies name is Koda ( my kids named him after the bear on brother bear). Thanks for all the responses. So does anyone know what size these mixed golden retrievers usually grow to be? Also, any ideas on how to get him to stop playing and nipping? He is already 5 months, I thought he would do less of this by now.

I've had a few dogs over the years. All "rescued" and unknown mixed breeds. Not even Vets can always tell what breeds a dog has. One time I took my dog to a Vet and before I got a chance to ask, she asked ME what breed the dog was. I had other dogs after this one also. When anyone asked me what breed - I would answer "Special". They always are - at least to us. btw, I read somewhere that most mixed breed large dogs usually look like German Shepherds, even if they aren't. Something to do with the history of dog breeds.

It looks like the consencious is retriever. They are just great! Mine is a rescue dog, the ugliest thing ever, and the best temperment now that he is mature. Have fun with him.

Definitely looks like a golden retriever to me, if his tail curls over his back, he may have Siberian Husky in him as well.

He kinda has a chow face but he definitely has golden in him.

My dog looke the same. Your dog is a golden.

Your puppy looks a lot like my new puppy. We were told she was a golden retriever mix. We suspect that the "mix" is husky. She vocalizes very much like a husky. She has very large feet for her size and a much thicker coat then a golden.

I would say yours looks mostly golden. Take a look at mine. What do you think he is? I thought golden and shepherd but would appreciate anyone else's opinion.

Looks to me to have some shar pei in him. Maybe mixed with chow?

He might be a golden mix lab? My Buddy was told to be that, they do look alike...

I'd say wait till he gets to be about a year. If his tail curls up and his size both reflect that of a husky then go with that.
Watch his tongue to see if it has any black/purple; he may be a golden/ chow.

Does he have any other colors mixed with the golden? This is our Chewy. We were told by the shelter that he was a golden/ chow. However, no dark tongue and his white would be left unexplained. Our trainer and vet both say he's probably a golden/ husky mix.

Looks a bit like my dog, Bailey. We don't know her breeds yet, except for Golden Retriever. Some vets think Bailey has Chow Chow. Does anyone have an opinion on Bailey?

My dog Samantha was a shelter girl we adopted at 8 months.Short
red hair,black muzzle. Over time she grew a longer coat with black tip.Her ear hair is tipped with black . She has to be groomed because
her hair continuously grows on her ears,feet and legs. She is 8 now and her muzzle is turning white like the Goldens. I am going to have her DNA tested. I think she has Golden and Chow in her and who knows what else. LOL

His mouth looks like a husky. You can figure out his breed easier when he grown up. My dog's hair on the face was black but turned white when she grown up (In 1 year) as you see on the photo.

Can someone help me to figure out what breed is my dog? Someone told that she is a golden retriever/terrier Mix. She is 4 years old.

Agree with keeper60's comment on his eyes--whatever he is, you've got a special one there. It's hard to tell when they're still pups; we had a German Shepherd/Golden mix who looked all-shepherd at four months and looked more Golden than GSD when he matured. If your boy is not all Golden, I think he may be mixed with Lab. Whatever he is, he is just gorgeous.

Cute. He looks just like my Golden Retriever /Chow mix. Does he have any black spots on his tongue?

I also am not sure of my dog's breed, but we sure would like to find out. This is his puppy picture from the Shelter that we adopted him from. He is now almost 2 years old and has filled out beautifully. He has the size, and fur texture of a Golden Retriever, the nose of a Chow or Shar-Pei, and the attitude of all three, so we think he may be just that, all three. At any rate, he gets along with our three other dogs, a Bull Dog, Chihuahua, and Toy Rat Terrier. We love them all!

Another Golden Retriever mix mystery - my pup Paisley! Any ideas? I've always thought Wheaton Terrier or Border Terrier mixed with Golden. Thoughts? Thanks!

My dog duke looks just like him when he was that age we were told that he was a lab mixed with chow. There are some days he looks like a lab and some he looks like a chow, but then he has spots on him that neither dogs have so we are not sure. I would really love to find out what he is.

This golden mix looks like our last dog, and he was part golden, part collie and there was always something else, and it wasn't until 2 different people mentioned this, I added it to his mix. The third part was chow... His years may come up more, your dog looks just like our Cody... (keep in mind this is when my Cody was 13 yrs old...

I have a chow and I see it in the nose and those cute ears.